Homeless now a protected class in Bloomington

In a unanimous decision, Bloomington City Council voted Wednesday to make Bloomington the first Indiana city to recognize homeless people as a somewhat protected class.

This decision comes after more than a year of work by Shalom Community Center staff and members of the Bloomington Human Rights Commission.

When a client of Shalom Community Center applied for a job in Bloomington, he was hired. When the employers received the results of his background check, however, they 
immediately let him go.

The report hadn’t uncovered some horrible, undisclosed criminal history. Rather, it simply showed that several of the new employee’s recent addresses belonged to homeless 
shelters.

“High risk indicator,” the background check read next to each 
address.

This discrimination based on housing status is not illegal in the United States.

Amongst the people sitting in groups on the grass at Seminary Park, it’s hard to find someone who does not feel that their housing status has hindered them when seeking 
employment or shelter.

One woman said her job application was thrown in the trash when she listed Shalom as her address. Many people said that Bloomington motels have begun turning away homeless people, even when they can afford a room.

Erica Kraemer, who moved out of homelessness last week, said when she worked at McDonald’s, she felt she was treated differently than the other employees.

She said they asked if she was dirty every morning.

In an effort to lessen this type of unfair treatment, activists from Shalom and the human rights commission proposed the newly passed amendment to the city’s 
Human Rights Ordinance.

This change will add housing status and veteran status to the list of groups protected against discrimination with regards to employment, housing and public accommodation.

“People experience discrimination all the time, so it will give the opportunity to people who are homeless or have been homeless to put forth challenges before the Human Rights Commission,” Gilmore said.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, who are also left unprotected under national law, have already been added to Bloomington’s ordinance.

“It’s a bit of a symbolic thing,” said Barbara McKinney, the director of the Human Rights Commission who drafted the amendment. “We will attempt to investigate any claim that is brought before us, but we won’t be able to compel investigation.”

Last year Indiana state law changed to fully prohibit discrimination against 
veterans.

Because Indiana has not prohibited discrimination based on housing status, the most Bloomington can do is “discourage” it, making homeless people a 
“quasi-protected” class.

For businesses or individuals who discriminate against the city’s homeless, the government can’t do anything stronger than what Gilmore referred to as a “public shaming,” or a scolding from members of the 
human rights council.

“It will largely depend on voluntary support,” Gilmore said. “Challenges can be brought and the human rights group can encourage the violator to change their practices.”

On Wednesday, city council heard the second reading of the amendment and took a final vote.

The amendment passed with a unanimous round of yes’s and positive statements from council members.

“It’s unfortunate that we cannot vote to fully protect the class of people currently experiencing homelessness because of state law, but I look forward to that day,” council member Steve Volan said.

“I thought it was important that the city of Bloomington take the lead on this issue and we have,” council member Tim Mayer said, noting that Columbus, Indiana, is working toward a similar amendment, but is one meeting behind 
Bloomington’s council.

After the amendment was passed, Gilmore said he was stunned. He called it a 
historical moment.

“It’s extraordinary to be part of such an amazing city that takes so seriously the protection of the most vulnerable among us,” he said.