sports women's basketball

Penn State transfer Shay Ciezki signs with Indiana women’s basketball

spiuwbbtransfer042724.jpeg

Within hours of Indiana women’s basketball landing its first offseason transfer in Karoline Striplin, Penn State guard Shay Ciezki signed with the Hoosiers on Friday. 

Ciezki comes to Bloomington after two seasons with the Nittany Lions, leaving her with two seasons of eligibility remaining. Now with two high school signees and two transfer signees, Indiana has filled 13 of 15 allotted scholarships. 

The Buffalo, New York, native was rated as the No. 56 player by ESPN HoopGurlz in the 2022 high school class. She was also a McDonald’s All-American nominee. 

The 5-foot-7 guard started 59 of her 65 games in State College, Pennsylvania, shooting a combined 38.9% from 3-point range. 

In 2023-24, Ciezki was named an All-Big Ten Honorable Mention (media) after averaging 11.5 points and 2.4 assists per game. 

In the two games Ciezki faced off against Indiana, she averaged 9 points, two rebounds and one assist per game. She also went 2-of-9 from beyond the arc. 

"We have seen firsthand in the Big Ten how explosive Shay can be," Indiana head coach Teri Moren said in the release. "She is a great perimeter player with quickness to make plays off the bounce. Shay is going to be a great addition to our backcourt.” 

With Sara Scalia exhausting her eligibility, Ciezki could provide similar results from long-range in 2024-25.

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Quinn Richards (@Quinn_richa), columnist Ryan Canfield (@_ryancanfield) and photographer Olivia Bianco (@theoliviabianco) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball offseason.