Chinese students celebrate traditional moon festival

caChina

A celebration of Chinese culture inundated Dunn Meadow with food Sunday afternoon, games, dancing, singing and an overall appreciation for the festival of mid-autumn.

The Chinese Student and Scholar Association ran the day-long festival to celebrate the annual Moon Festival Garden Party.

The association attempted to give each student, who misses the festivities at home or who is interested in the Chinese holiday tradition, an enjoyable and memorable weekend, according to IUCSSA’s 
website.

The Mid-Autumn Festival is a harvest festival celebrated by ethnic Chinese people.

The festival takes place on the 15th day of the eighth month in the Chinese Han calendar.

The celebration included traditional Chinese games, live performances from student groups such as D-force dance group and a buffet. Mooncakes were free to all festival participants.

Mooncakes are a Chinese bakery product 
traditionally eaten during the festival.

They are round pastries, measuring about 10 centimeters wide and 3 to 4 centimeters thick.

These pastries are filled with a thick gel made from red bean or lotus seed paste. This thick gel is surrounded by a thin crust and sometimes contain yolks from salted duck eggs.

The festival is traditionally celebrated as a family or with the community, who get together to share a meal and watch the full moon at night.

“This tradition is celebrated every year with the moon,” Mina Cai, a freshman participant, said.

Cai said the festival was similar to the festivals at home.

“It allows the community to come together to play games and celebrate,” freshman Elizabeth Yao said.

Games included musical chairs, a ring toss, a bean bag toss and a balancing game with chopsticks .

Roughly 500 students, faculty, staff and community members joined in the celebration.

“This festival brings all families together as one,” freshman Danni Li said.