COLUMN: Addyi doesn't solve all sexual problems, but may cause health issues

Here it is, ladies, the answer to all your sex problems ... drugs. Or better yet, one drug — Addyi. It’s been called the female equivalent of Viagra or even “girl boner in a bottle” and it’s here to save you from dates who stuff you with oysters and blast Barry White. Maybe that’s a little outdated, how about The Weeknd?

Addyi, created by Sprout Pharmaceuticals, is the first FDA approved prescription drug to target low libido in women. Aphrodite herself is moaning in Olympus.

But before you rush to the doctor’s office, make an appointment at the European Wax Center and call in those dinner reservations, there are a few things you should know about Addyi.

For one thing, it’s not like you pop a pill and you’re revved to go. Users must take the pill daily for a long period of time for the magic to kick in. So like the tedious task of taking birth control everyday, you’ll have to remember to take Addyi, too.

Clinical associate professor of psychiatry at New York University School of Medicine Leonore Tiefer told Time she’s opposed to the drug since it was introduced to the FDA in 2010 and it was rejected twice.

“The drug hasn’t changed, the data hasn’t changed and my opinion hasn’t changed,” she said. “I think it’s a disaster. It’s unsafe and it doesn’t work. That is all a drug is supposed to do. Work and be safe.”

During those rejections, the FDA cited a large list of side effects, which included fainting, light-headedness, lethargy and nausea. So instead of the desired climax, you might just get dizzy, tired, puke and then faint on your date.

Next, drinking alcohol with Addyi can cause seriously low blood pressure, hence all the fainting. And because it’s a daily pill, this means one thing: sobriety. And, who the hell wants to do that?

I mean, come on, ladies. We’re known for holding the key to our desires in our brains, not our nether regions.

Pills for men, like Viagra, induce a physical reaction, an erection, for sex. They do nothing for your overall horniness. But this complex, topsy-turvy feeling we’ve had to deal with since our hormones first kicked in at puberty is what Addyi is trying to target — getting you in the mood.

So here are a few tips for dealing with some of the sex problems you might think Addyi can solve.

Never have time? Make a schedule. Sure, it sounds silly to mark in your palm pilot “Have sex Saturday night,” but which is worse, planning sex or no sex?

Does your partner have no clue what turns you on? Role-play, or tell them about your fantasies.

They can’t find your love button? Draw them a map or, better yet, send them to the Kinsey Institute and curse public school sex education.

Your mind’s there but the rest of your body isn’t ready? Try some lube.

If you’ve never in your life felt the desire to have sex, there’s probably nothing wrong with you either. There’s such a thing called asexuality.

If sex is painful, do not have sex. Go to your doctor.

And finally, it’s OK to just not want sex. It might be that your busy with classes or you’re having problems in your relationship or you’re just really not feeling it that day. You might feel that way for a long time and that’s perfectly normal. There’s no exact science to horniness.

So before you pop a pill, weigh your options. Don’t risk your health for something that’s as fleeting as hormones.

maehogan@indiana.edu