13 Bloomington events receive grant funding for 2016

From IDS reports

Thirteen annual Bloomington events have been chosen to receive portions of a $40,000 tourism marketing grant for 2016 from Visit Bloomington, according to a press release.

The grant was developed to help promote and enhance new and existing events through marketing and advertising.

Through these channels, the grant targets audiences outside a 50-mile radius of Monroe County.

Applications for the grant were judged by a list of specific criteria.

This included the ability to draw attendees from outside Monroe County, the ability to increase hotel occupancy and placement of the event during non-peak times of the year, according to the press 
release.

The winners of the grant were Limestone Comedy Festival, awarded $5,000; Kiwanis Club of South Central Indiana Balloon Festival, awarded $4,500; Artisan Guilds of Bloomington Holiday Show, awarded $4,400; Middle Coast Film Festival, awarded $4,200; Arts Fair on the Square, awarded $4,000; Lotus World Music & Arts Festival, awarded $3,700; USA International Harp Competition, awarded $3,000; Hoosier Half Marathon, awarded $3,000; Art & Soul Juried Art Show, awarded $2,500; Blues & Boogie Woogie Piano Festival, awarded $2,000; Cardinal Stage Company holiday show, awarded $1,500; Hillbilly Haiku, awarded $1,500; and Raas Royalty, awarded $700.

Director of tourism for Visit Bloomington Julie Warren said in the press release this grant continues to be competitive because of the new events applying each year and former grant winners looking for new and innovative ways to reach audiences.

“This grant is providing opportunities for audience development for each event but also overall growth to the local tourism industry, which will impact more than just these events,” Warren said in the press release.