IU sophomore manages lifestyle card business

Drew Miller is a rising sophomore majoring in finance with the Kelley School of Business. He is also the current IU Managing Director for LegendsCard LLC.

He has been collecting hundreds of business cards from local businesses and making phone calls to these contacts all summer long, 
he said.

“Since taking over as the Campus Manager, I’ve had to put a lot of my time into LegendsCard,” Miller said. “I stayed in Bloomington a week after finals last semester to talk to business owners about signing up. I am also coming to school a week early this fall. I’ve collected hundreds of business cards from local business and have been making phone calls to these contacts this summer.”

Last year, Miller worked as a sales representative, meaning he was provided LegendsCards to sell and paid a commission per card sold.

It was the previous campus manager, Dylan Reider, who decided Miller was the right guy to replace him, Miller said.

Miller’s associate, Reider, is the one who brought LegendsCard to IU after students at the University of Michigan came up with the idea. Since Reider moved on to another company, Miller was left behind with a lot of work to fill his shoes.

With businesses such as 9 Round Kickboxing, Opie Taylor’s, and Red Mango, the LegendsCard practically sells itself, he said.

“Our mission statement is that LegendsCard is not only a discount card. It is a ‘lifestyle card,’” Miller said. “We offer discounts at restaurants, barber shops, a gym, and bars. No matter what you are doing in your day, LegendsCard can get you a discount.”

By purchasing a LegendsCard, students are offered a discount or perk at the business they have on board, while businesses are provided with a market of cardholders that they usually would not have otherwise, he said.

They also market for businesses primarily through social media.

While IU does not provide an office for LegendsCard LLC, the company does not need one because it is all student-run, Miller said.

Miller plans to operate from his room over the school year but will be hiring sales representatives and an intern when the fall semester starts, he said.

“I would like students to know that the $20 they spend on a LegendsCard can save them an immense amount of money,” Miller said.

To see all of the places that IU’s LegendsCard has to offer and for more information, check out their website at legendscard.com.