IU track star transfers to Oklahoma State, but why?

Track

Nineteen victories. Three school records. One Big Ten Championship.

The accolades of the last two seasons are nothing but history now between IU and former junior middle distance runner Tre’tez Kinnaird.

The talented record holder announced he was taking his final two years of eligibility to Oklahoma State.

“I’m not happy at IU,” Kinnaird said. “Things weren’t working out. It was a rough year, and I just need a fresh start to continue doing what I love.”

After finishing his freshman season with a victory in the 800-meter run at the USA Junior Championships, Kinnaird went on to win the Indoor Big Ten Championship in the same event.

But in the 2015 outdoor season, he earned just two victories, finished 9th in the Big Ten Championships and he finished 36th in the 800 at the East Regional.

“It had a little bit to do with coaching,” Kinnaird said. “There were things done wrong on both sides. We had a meeting and discussed the issues.”

His decision comes after a season in which IU Coach Ron Helmer cleaned out the coaching staff and brought in new coaches across the board to help with team chemistry and focus.

The result of these changes included an impressive 2014 recruiting class, consisting of people like middle distance runner Daniel Kuhn and 3K USA Junior champion Jill Whitman.

Kinnaird entered his short tenure at IU as part of a long process as the Hoosiers hit the restart button in his mind. Helmer spoke often about low expectations compared to the successful 2012 teams and often spoke of the future even though the team exceeded their 2015 expectations.

Kinnaird’s high school track and field coach, Brandon Lesher, from Butler Traditional High School in Kentucky, stayed in contact with Kinnaird and his family throughout Kinnaird’s collegiate career.

“This was not a quick decision,” Lesher said about Kinnaird’s transfer. “This incident that happened was not a one-time incident. This dates back to last season.

“The problems last season were resolved to an extent, but I’m assuming they were definitely taken into consideration when he made this decision.”

Lesher said that Kinnaird’s mother had voiced concern about her son’s physique and how he appeared to be skinnier, as if he had not been eating.

In direct conversations with Kinnaird, Lesher also said his academics seemed fine.

“Tre has always been a tireless worker,” Lesher said. “When he ran for us in high school, he always put the team before himself, even when it meant sacrificing a chance to go to state. He was never the most vocal guy, but he talked when he needed to.”

The pressure to perform was incessantly placed upon Kinnaird to meet his record times. 

On few occasions, such as a disappointing twelfth-place performance in the men’s Distance Medley Relay at the Alex Wilson Invitational, Kinnaird seemed tired.

“It just made it really hard to manage a lot of things,” Kinnaird said. “I always felt disappointed when I didn’t reach my record times, and it was hard to be happy. It was time for a change, and Oklahoma State was the perfect school.”

Kinnaird will join his World Juniors coach Dave Smith and will unite with his friend and former competitor Brad Johnson, who is also transferring from Minnesota to Oklahoma State.

“There’s more of a sense of guidance there, and the coaches are really enthusiastic,” Kinnaird said. “They have a strong training group, with eight 1,500 guys and four 800 guys. We can really grow as runners there.”

Kinnaird is set to make an immediate impression at Oklahoma State, as their current leading 800-meter runner, Timauntay Jones, runs just a 1:51.27, while Kinnaird owns a personal-best time of 1:47.91, an IU record.

Oklahoma State finished sixth in the Outdoor Big 12 Championships, while IU finished 12th in the Outdoor Big Ten Championships this season.

“My closest friends were very understanding, and my mom was supportive of my decision,” Kinnaird said. “I’m going to really hit it hard, and it’ll be worth it in the end. I don’t ever want to be seen as a quitter.”