COLUMN: A call for structure

We are prone to avoid even a little rigidity even in the areas oh highest need

In many instances, the path of least resistance involves laxness or inconsistent leniency. However, this is often not what those we work for and share our lives with need from us. Giving structure to our work, conduct and personal lives is an important step toward ?self-betterment.

Therapeutic structure and consistency is a key aspect of the work I do. In social work, each client the practitioner collaborates with is in need of a high degree of predictability and steadfastness from the worker.

By remaining calm in moments of crisis, firm in regard to established plans and legalities and understanding and unshakable emotionally, the worker models healthy ?structuring for the individuals with whom he or she works.

But with professional jargon aside, providing structure for yourself and others is important to those of all walks of life.

In my personal experience, structure and self-discipline have been difficult to establish and implement. Throughout the course of my life, both at home and on my own, I have lived in loose and highly flexible ?environments.

Although this fits well with my demeanor and personality, it is not conducive to success in many important situations. I am a chronic procrastinator, I’m constantly a few minutes late and I regularly do not get enough sleep due to my oversight in setting a time to turn in.

Thus far, these implications have not carried any substantial consequences in my life. However, this is not the reality for individuals living in at-risk scenarios.

The youth I currently work with have often had to make do without consistent food, shelter, safety, attention or nourishing emotional living situations.

Often, extremely unhealthy and degrading behavior has become a norm for them at home: adult-to-minor sexual relations and assault, prostitution and commodification of the body and stealing for survival, to name a few.

For these young people, learning about, finding and living within a structured environment is both therapeutic and critical. Simple tasks many of us take for granted must be learned and incorporated into a schedule.

Although the majority of IU’s student body is not in need of such a serious life style overhaul, we can all take something beneficial away from addressing the need for structured living.

It can be as simple as setting a nighttime hygiene routine or as complex as ironing out a concrete weekly assignment schedule, but we can all better our lives by introducing structure to an area to which we have previously been given free roam.