Union Board selects summer directors

Union Board’s Summer Board was sworn in at its Thursday board meeting. The four directors will be in charge of Union Board programming for students staying in Bloomington for the summer term.

DeAnthony Nelson, vice president of internal affairs for Union Board, said the Summer Board takes on the responsibilities of the directors for the academic year.

“We give two to four students the opportunity to be full-time directors,” ?Nelson said.

He said the four new directors on Summer Board this year are students Connor McSweeney, Adam Reddigari, Charlie Schraw and Shelby Woodard.

The chair of Summer Board is Ja’Von Hankins, the current director of the Campus Unity committee, Reddigari said.

The chair selected from the applicants will serve as the president for the Summer Board, Nelson said.

“They’re basically forming a board that is Union Board and just Union Board, so the programs you bring are programs you think the students want,” Nelson said. “It’s not based off of what your committee is. You just program.”

Nelson said the Summer Board exists to keep students that stay on campus for the summer ?engaged and entertained.

“They’re obviously still students,” Nelson said. “So the fact that they pay into the student activity fee means that we have this duty there.”

The Summer Board was chosen through an application process. Nelson said they searched for students with genuine interest in Union Board.

“The people that we were looking for, we wanted to have a strong interest in Union Board, not necessarily experience,” Nelson said. “I felt like we were looking for people that are going to sort of fit well together and bring different aspects to the ?Summer Board.”

The directors were chosen without an interview process, Nelson said.

The Summer Board will operate under its own budget, collected from the Student Involvement Fee included in tuition students pay to take summer classes, Nelson said.

Although there are fewer students to program for during the summer, Nelson said Union Board should still maintain its presence on campus and promote its mission of bringing students from all backgrounds and interests together through their programs.

He said the Summer Board would provide Union Board experience and promote awareness of its programming for the academic year.

“Just because it’s the summer doesn’t mean we don’t stand for those things, so we still need to be promoting this sort of atmosphere of Union Board,” he said.

Reddigari said he is looking forward to the position on Summer Board because it will give him a chance to be more ?involved on campus.

Nelson said previous Summer Boards have planned events such as a boat ride in a cave, an ice cream giveaway and the Indiana Memorial Union’s birthday party.

The Union Board film series will also continue through the summer.

Reddigari said he hopes for the Board to plan outdoor activities, such as a corn hole tournament for students, somewhere around the IMU.

As a sophomore, Reddigari said he sometimes feels more disconnected from campus activities while living off-campus than when he was a freshman living in a residence hall.

“I felt like this would be a good way to not only stay involved on campus but help other students do the same thing,” he said.