Heaters to play the Bishop

The band Heaters, from Grand Rapids, Mich., will perform at the Bishop tomorrow at 9 p.m. They released a single on April 28 entitled "Mean Green."

Grand Rapids, Mich., band Heaters kicked off their May tour Saturday night at the Metro Fest Blowout and quickly moved on to play a ?2 a.m. set Sunday morning at Whateverfest.

Heaters’ tour brings the band to Bloomington at ?9 p.m. Tuesday for a show at the Bishop Bar. Fort Wayne band Heaven’s Gateway Drugs is set to open the show.

Heaters have never played in Bloomington before, but singer and guitarist Andrew Tamlyn said he’s heard “it’s a cool place to be.”

“They shouldn’t really expect anything,” he said. “We’re kind of a weird band. They should be open for everything because we’re kind of out there sometimes.”

The band uses a lot of different layers in recording its “jangle rock,” Tamlyn said, so they have to use a lot of loops and be more improvisational to keep up.

“Our live show is a little more chaotic because we’re trying to pick up the slack,” he said.

The music the band makes is rock ‘n’ roll with some surf rock elements, Tamlyn said. He likes to joke around that they “sound like the Beach Boys on cough syrup.”

Heaters released a new 7-inch single Tuesday titled “Mean Green.”

The single is the first release by the band on the Brooklyn, N.Y., record label Beyond Beyond is Beyond Records.

“We’re really excited ?because we recorded that ourselves on GarageBand in our basement, and we were really surprised that people were digging the turnout of how it sounded,” ?Tamlyn said.

The record label chose the song “Levitate Thigh” from Heaters’ 2014 release “EP” to put on the flip side of the single.

Heaters also released a music video for “Mean Green” on the same day as the 7-inch.  The music video features 1950s-style dancing set to the song.

Tamlyn said he and his bandmates found the second scene from the video on YouTube and realized the tempo sort of matched up to the tempo of “Mean Green.” They were surprised, he said, so they decided to make a collage of found footage for the song.

The band’s debut album “Holy Water Pool” is due for release in August through Beyond Beyond is Beyond Records. Tamlyn said the band just sent all of the mixes to the record label a ?few days ago.

Heaters’ sound has evolved a little into a “space cowboy vibe,” Tamlyn said, but the core of their sound has stayed constant.

“We’re trying to keep that desert rock vibe always,” ?he said.