Pilobolus to perform at IU Auditorium

Pilobolus Dance Theater has performed for national audiences everywhere from the 79th Academy Awards to the Oprah Winfrey Show. Now they are bringing their experimental dance performance to Bloomington.

Pilobolus Dance Theater will perform at 8 p.m. today at ?IU Auditorium.

A group of Dartmouth College students founded Pilobolus Dance Theater in 1971. The dance company has now expanded into multiple industries beyond ?performance.

In addition to the dance company, there is the Pilobolus Institute, which partners with organizations and individuals to put on educational programs. The Institute offers adult workshops and children’s camps every summer in Washington Depot, Conn.

The company also created Pilobolus Creative Services, which offers various services for film and advertising. Pilobolus has offered creative services to various companies, from the NFL ?to Google.

Maria Talbert, associate director for the auditorium, said in an email the auditorium staff aims to bring world-class acts to IU and Bloomington as a whole. Bringing Pilobolus to perform at IU meets that goal, she said.

“We have the unique opportunity in south-central Indiana to present artists of their caliber and give our patrons exposure to arts for which they might otherwise have to travel to major metropolitan centers to see,” ?Talbert said.

While many classify the performance Pilobolus puts on as “modern dance,” Talbert said it’s very difficult to put them into any category. She said they are at the forefront of creating new ways for the body to move.

“Their works are not only physically daring and exceedingly difficult, but also inventive, playful and unexpected,” Talbert said. “They really seek to expand the boundaries by which dance can be defined and have made a niche for themselves as innovators and explorers in the realm of human ?movement.”

Talbert said the auditorium staff hopes members of the University’s ?contemporary dance program will find the performance ?educational.

The opportunity to see a dance company on the same level as Pilobolus is a particularly unique one, Talbert said. She also said IU students should take ?advantage of the special discount they receive for these ?performances.

“This is a rare opportunity to witness such an incredible group and experience something unlike anything you might have seen before,” ?Talbert said.