Singer-songwriters to play the Bishop

Ryley Walker will perform with co-headliner Kevin Morby on March 10 at the Bishop.

The last time Chicago singer-songwriter Ryley Walker played in Bloomington, he performed for a crowd of about five at a house show.

Now, after a recent signing to local record label Dead Oceans, Walker returns to Bloomington for a show , co-headlining with Los Angeles singer-songwriter Kevin ?Morby.

The two play at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Bishop Bar. Indianapolis band S.M. Wolf will open the show. Walker began a tour of the United States last week, and he said he always enjoys touring.

“We always end up sleeping in weird places and meeting weird people, but weird people like to drink beer,” Walker said, “So I expect to drink beer with weird people and have fun gigs.”

Every show Walker and his band play varies because they like to jam a lot, he said.

They don’t just stick to the regular songs, he said, but they often improvise on top of folk tunes.

Walker said they like to have fun while performing.

“It’s not some super quiet set, there are a lot of big moments,” he said.

Walker said a lot of songs on his upcoming album “Primrose Green” came from jamming in a live setting.

He has released two singles from the album so far, and music website Stereogum writer James Rettig described the title track as “a mix of pastoral British folk and lush, overgrown, yet insular ?soundscapes.”

The new album is set for release March 31, and Walker said he thinks the album is better than anything he has done before.

“The old stuff just kind of sucked, to put it gently,” ?Walker said.

From the sound to the songwriting, he said this new album shows a lot of improvement from his previous releases. A lot of his friends joined the band while making the album, Walker said, and they added an element that had been missing from his music.

“The new one just has a lot more collaboration and a lot more big ideas,” he said.

Although the album has yet to come out, Walker said “Primrose Green” already feels really old to him.

He said there are a lot of new things he is thinking about doing. There are several collaborations he said he wants to do, and he has been thinking about doing a live ?album.

Walker also said he will probably make the follow-up to “Primrose Green” this ?summer.

“There’s a lot of ‘maybe’ and ‘we’ll think about it,’ but nothing firm,” he said. “But there will definitely be recordings this year that I make. ?No doubt.”