weekend

Let's get down to business

BUSINESS OR PLEASURE

Vince Vaughn

Q In the film, your character owns a small, humble company compared to the competing larger franchise. Is there a particular reason you are drawn to playing the underdog role?

A I guess I relate more to the underdogs in life, personally. What I like about the movie is that these guys are in a position that they don’t like in life. They are involved in a job that they are not passionate about. In a moment, he pushes all in and thinks that things could be different. What’s fun is that Dave Franco’s character is very funny and unique and Tom Wilkinson makes it rootable, that you have a group of guys that are in a position where the stakes are high and you are rooting for them.

Q What was your biggest challenge when filming “Unfinished Business?”

A It wasn’t too big of a challenge. It’s like homework or a test. If you are prepared, you aren’t nervous. The more you prepare, the more you can manage your stress.

Q What aspect of “Unfinished Business” are you most excited for people to see?

A The movie as a whole is fun — the compilation of it is nice. I like what the characters go through. I like where the characters end up, and the overall theme of the movie is great.

Q What was the dynamic like working with Dave and Tom?

A They are really sweet, funny and genuine. We talked a lot, laughed a lot, we had a good time — we had our inside jokes, things that we would say to make each other laugh but nothing too crazy.

Q You mentioned you really like working with Steven Conrad. What is distinctive about his style?

A He has a unique voice and style. If you read him, you can tell that he is the writer. It’s nice to work with a writer that has an original voice and point of view — I like that.

Nick Frost

Q Can you tell us about your character, Bill Whimsely?

A Big Bill Whimsley. He’s just a bloody good egg. I think he works for a man who he sees as really horrible. And that man is James Marsden, a man who in real life isn’t really horrible. He’s actually really beautiful. And I think he just decides that he’s had enough and he wants to make sure that the good guy comes out on top for once. And he makes a stand, and I like that about him and about the character. And he’s jovial and a little bit sad and single and a bit lonely. But he picks himself up and I love that.

Q What really drew you to your character and can you relate to Bill in any way?

A Can I relate to Bill? Yeah. I think Bill’s just a kind of everyman really, apart from the fact that he’s kind of a leather-clad bear. I think I can relate to his bearness.

Q In “Unfinished Business,” you work with three pretty prominent actors, Vince Vaughn, Tom Wilkinson and Dave Franco, all of which have very different acting styles and comedy styles in their own right. What do you think most helped you get into your role when working with these three pretty famous actors?

A I never rest on any laurels. I’m there to work. I want to do the best for Ken and for Vince and for Tom, the producers, and so I work hard. I make sure I know my business, and I make notes on the script and I make suggestions throughout the process.

Q As a writer yourself, what was a distinctive quality you saw in Steven Conrad’s script that appealed to you?

A Steve wrote, he wrote a great script with a lot of heart. And I like my character, and it’s always a starting point. Steve was on set a lot and we collaborated, and that was what this film was like. They kind of pitched it to me like, “Let’s have fun. Let’s hang out and play together and see what we can do.” But Steve’s script was the cornerstone of that, and everything else that happened kind of came from that.