sports softball

IU splits its games at Owl Invitational

In a weekend that consisted of relocations and opponent changes, the IU softball team wrapped up play in the Owl Invitational in Kennesaw, Ga.

But the schedule change may have worked in the Hoosiers’ favor.

“The extra day helped us with another day of rest,” IU Coach Michelle Gardner said.

IU opened up Saturday afternoon with a matchup against Austin Peay, a team that has only recorded one win this season.

The Governors jumped out to an early lead by scoring five runs in the second inning before IU responded with a five-run inning of its own, which included freshman Mena Fulton’s first home run.

One inning later, the Hoosiers added three more runs off sophomore Erin Lehman’s RBI double and a two-run RBI single from freshman Rachel O’Malley.

The Hoosiers would grab an opening game victory with a final score of 10-7.

Senior Lora Olson picked up the win for IU, giving up five earned runs on two hits in four innings of work.

“She pitched phenomenal,” Gardner said. “I want Olson and Miranda (Tamayo) to continue to push and keep working to get better.”

IU came back later that evening to lose in a pitchers’ duel 2-1 against St. Louis.

On her way to a complete game, Olson surrendered just two runs on seven hits. But the bats for the Hoosiers could not be found, as the lone run for IU was an unearned run scored on a passed ball.

In IU’s early game Sunday against Eastern Illinois, the Panthers struck first on a two-run RBI single and an RBI double to go up 3-0 in the first.

The Hoosiers would get on the board in the second inning on a two-run home run from senior Brianna Meyer, her second of the season.

After another run for the Panthers, IU put up a four-run third inning to take the lead 6-4. Lehman recorded a two-run RBI single and brought in two batters later on an RBI double by Cawley before Meyer’s third RBI of the game.

After Eastern Illinois scored three runs, the Hoosiers were down one run with one out in the seventh. A Lehman single set up the walk-off home run from junior Kelsey Dotson to give the Hoosiers a 9-8 victory.

“I wasn’t trying to hit a home run, but instead trying to find a way to get on base,” Dotson said. “But once I saw it leave I was really, really excited.”

Dotson and Lehman scored two runs each in the game as the duo combined for four hits, four runs and four RBIs.

Lehman would put up the best weekend of her career, recording seven hits and hitting just under .500.

“I tried to get my confidence back and the whole team is trying to,” Lehman said. “It’s been a progress, but we are trying to go higher from here.”

However, in the finals against Kennesaw State, the Hoosiers fell to the Owls 9-4.

The Owls scored five runs in the first three innings to take an early 5-1 lead.

Freshman Taylor Uden hit her second home run of the season to give the Hoosiers their second run of the game.

After canceling the Indiana Classic last weekend, Gardner said she is excited to possibly play at home this weekend.

“I hope to be able to sleep in my own bed for three straight days, so hopefully the weather started to get better.”