IU seeks new chancellor

Charles R. Bantz, current chancellor of IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, will step down from his position effective Aug. 15, 2015, and rejoin the faculty of the University. Bantz joined IUPUI as chancellor and IU vice president for long-range planning ?in 2003.

This position change was announced Thursday morning in addition to an announcement of a search committee that will help fill the upcoming vacant position.

The search committee has recently been formed to identify candidates for this ?position that will also partner as the executive vice president of IU. The 15-person committee is made up of academic officials from IU, IUPUI, Purdue University, IU Maurer School of Law, IU School of Dentistry, IU School of Medicine and an interim dean of IU School of Nursing at IUPUI. This panel represents a broad range of fields of study in attempt to find a candidate well-rounded in an ?array of skills.

Eugene R. Tempel, founding dean and professor of philanthropic studies and higher education at the IU Lilly Family School of Philanthropy at IUPUI, will lead the committee. Tempel, along with the rest of the committee, was directly appointed by President Michael A. McRobbie.

A new chancellor is to be identified, hopefully by the time Bantz steps down as chancellor, according to the IU press release.

Bantz is considered an advocate for the IUPUI campus and, through his leadership, the University is in an excellent position to be built upon in the future, McRobbie said in the press release.

“Opportunity to be Chancellor has been the greatest professional experience I have had,” Bantz said. “I have served 12 years and this is a good time to transition.”

The role of chancellor is considered the chief executive officer of the IUPUI campus. The chancellor oversees academic and budgetary policy and priorities, coupled with ensuring the quality of faculty and student body. The chancellor is advised to provide leadership in matters related to academic programs and policies, promotion and tenure, faculty recognition, research, university outreach and student recruitment ?and retention.

“The campus has grown, our students are more successful, the faculty have achieved tremendously and we have partnered with our community to make it ?stronger,” Bantz said.