Star-Crossed Swipers

Along with skinny jeans and crop tops, the next generation won’t understand our fascination with Tinder. It’s the app that so many use, but so few admit to using. However, we have found four brave souls to share their experiences and insights on this viral app that has become such a quintessential guilty pleasure.

Nick Kreilein, Sophomore

Like many others on the popular social media app, sophomore Nicholas Kreilein does not take himself seriously when he scrolls through photos of the opposite sex.

“For some people it could have value, but for me it’s just to entertain myself when I’m bored,” Kreilein says. “Like when I’m on the toilet.”

Though currently single, Kreilein is doubtful a Tinder match will end in a serious relationship. He says a quick boost of self-esteem is at the core of its usefulness.

“I’d definitely say it’s a bit of an ego boost--just feeling that love from random girls on the Internet.”

Kevin Schaefer, Senior

Senior Kevin Schaefer went on his first official Tinder date to Noodles and Company on Kirkwood road early last semester. Now, he sits awkwardly near his past “match” in a classroom.

“The date was a bunch of forced conversations--really awkward,” Schaefer says. “Now I’m in a 24-person class with her. We don’t talk. I’m just like, ‘Oh man, it’s you.’”

Schaefer has used Tinder off and on for the past two years. And while he normally uses it to pass time, he isn’t afraid to meet face to face.

“Since it’s connected to Facebook, I think it’s typically pretty legit and relatively safe.”

While he is yet to form any long-standing relationships using the site, Schaefer has no problem giving it an honest try.

“For single guys, like myself, it’s a good way to joke around and have conversations with random ladies you wouldn’t normally talk to,” he says. “I can’t say if you met them it’s going to go well, but give it a shot.”

Avery Walts, Senior

INSIDE’s very own Departments Editor, Avery Walts, has had her own share of experiences on Tinder. “I started using Tinder after a breakup, even though I made fun of it for the longest time,” Walts says. “Turns out, it was just as dumb as I thought before.”

Avery only used the dating app for a couple of months and warns people to be careful not to fall prey to dangerous situations or people.

“I matched with a guy from my hometown and ended up seeing him at home at a bar on New Years Eve,” she says. “I never had any intention to meet him in person, but we talked and exchanged phone numbers. In an attempt to find a friend of mine, I accidentally texted the Tinder guy my address after he asked to come home with me thinking it was my friend. I was mortified and scared. I blame alcohol on that one.”

Laura Huey, Sophomore

Laura Huey began using Tinder as a game with the girls on her floor last year to see how many different people they could match with. She found out quickly that Tinder definitely valued quantity over quality when it came to her “matches.”

“A lot of guys just come right out and ask for something extremely sexual,” Huey says. “One of them asked me, if he dropped his pants, what would I do to him. Another had some crazy sex fantasy he just sent me by way of introduction. Needless to say, they got unmatched pretty fast.”

While Laura says her experience on Tinder was fun at first, it quickly became boring and pointless. She deleted the app recently after downloading it last January and wishes those who want to use it good luck.

“There are a lot of weirdos on there.”

INSIDE’s Tinder Tips

While Tinder can be a fun diversion and easy confidence-booster, it can also put you in some dangerous situations. Here are some tips to stay safe while “matching” away.

1. Remember that it’s easy to lie or conceal information about yourself when you’re using any dating site or app. So stay on your toes when talking to strangers.

2. Don’t give out any personal information to people online.

3. While INSIDE doesn’t suggest meeting online strangers in-person, if you’re meeting someone in-person that you met online, be sure to meet in a public place during the day.

4. Be sure someone knows where you’re going and how long you will be gone if you do meet a “match” in person.

5. If at any point you feel uncomfortable, you should leave and get to a place where you feel safe.

6. If someone pressures you to meet somewhere or makes fun of you for wanting to meet in a public place, that’s a red flag.