Lambda Chi Alpha hosts blood drive

Lambda Chi Alpha held a blood drive at their Third Street residence Friday.

The blood drive was a part of the Indiana Blood Center’s Raise Your Sleeve initiative to encourage people around Indiana to ?donate blood.

Lambda Chi’s part in the event went a bit further, as all of their blood was donated to Riley Children’s Hospital in Indianapolis, the beneficiary of the IU Dance Marathon.

“We usually do the blood drive a few times a year,” said Lambda Chi member and blood drive organizer Conner Sunday. “Partnering with the Indiana Blood Center in sync with IUDM for Riley Children’s Hospital is really a great thing. There are sick children in need of blood transfusions, and giving the time to donate really makes all the difference ?to them.”

Sunday said being a part of the blood drive sends a positive message around the community about the positive effects of donating blood.

“You’re directly impacting someone in need when you donate,” he said. “You’re providing someone with a better life every time.”

Lambda Chi member and experienced blood donor Troy Adams not only enjoyed donating, but was impressed with how well the Indiana Blood Center ran the drive.

“I’ve donated blood multiple times in the past and already a few times with the Indiana Blood Center specifically,” he said. “They’re really good at what they do — they’re both personable and knowledgeable. When you’re with them, it’s a quick process. You get in and get out, and you’re satisfied in the end.”

Adams said that all of the blood drives Lambda Chi holds do an excellent job at getting the attention of people from around campus and the Bloomington ?community.

“Holding blood drives is great for our chapter,” he said. “It not only attracts people who have never heard of Lambda Chi before, but also people who have never even thought about donating blood before. It’s been talked about through Facebook and Twitter, and the awareness has definitely increased. We believe we have given donating blood a positive review.”

Director of Marketing and Public Relations at the Indiana Blood Center Andrea Fagan said in a recent press release that although the Indiana Blood Center has done well in receiving donations all across Indiana, it’s just a pathway into the larger job that has to be done.

“Indiana Blood Center is a vital link in our healthcare infrastructure,” she said in the press release. “Stabilizing the blood supply to our hospital partners and encouraging our donors to give regularly, at least three times a year, are important initiatives people should consider taking.”

Adams said he takes joy in making donations because of the great effect it can have on someone’s life, and he doesn’t see why anyone wouldn’t want to join in.

I encourage everyone to at least give donating blood a try,” he said. “It’s not hard at all, and it’s for a great cause. You’re saving lives in the ?process.”