weekend

Kid Rock struggles to find genre in new album

Kid Rock

‘First Kiss’

C

Kid Rock has some opinions he wants to share with the world through his new album, “First Kiss.”

He loves Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Jesus and beer. Nothing too strange there. Most country artists probably follow suit.

He hates the work politicians are doing, hipsters and skinny jeans. OK, I can buy into that.

But then it gets strange.

He starts taking shots at Coldplay, hates the Coachella music festival, thinks social media is whack and is frustrated by the misguided youth of America who can’t figure out right from wrong.

Woah. That got weird fast. What exactly did Coldplay ever do to Kid Rock exactly? And isn’t Coachella right up Kid Rock’s alley? Or did he become an old fart all of a sudden without giving us any heads up?

The 44-year-old Rock has gone from abrasive rap metal to heartland, southern rock while somehow managing to stay on the pop charts. He’s reinvented himself repeatedly, but somehow manages to always end up back on the country chart.

“First Kiss” is no different. As with his past few albums, it blends pop country and southern rock with a bit of soul. It’s a weird combination of Lynyrd Skynyrd meets Uncle Kracker after spending the weekend with Nickelback.

Rock’s voice isn’t what it used to be. He covers up his lack of range and versatility with a variety of background singers to bring the harmonies and soul Rock lost long ago, presumably at a party somewhere.

Rock’s at his best when his country-genre comes out fully as in tracks “Good Times Lookin’ for Me” and “Johnny Cash.”

Those songs work because they sound conversational. Rock isn’t trying to be someone he isn’t.

Granted, he does sort of go too stereotypical country with songs such as, “Drinking Beer with Dad” which is exactly what you think it is. But I digress.

As someone who grew up enjoying country music, Kid Rock and “First Kiss” leave me torn.

I can’t take him seriously because of his past and that weird punk-rock-country-rap phase that never caught on and never will.

But it’s evident “First Kiss” tries to return to the country values. He isn’t planning on changing any time soon, which shouldn’t come as much of a surprise.

In fact, he says so himself in “Good Times, Cheap Wine.”

“Hey you can try to change me or love me just the way I am.”

Love is a strong word. But for now, we’ll take “First Kiss” for what it is.

Sam Beishuizen