IU will have a much different lineup than last season

Newly-appointed head coach Chris Lemonis monitors practice on Wednesday at Bart Kaufman Field. IU's first game of the season is at Stanford on Friday.

IU senior Scott Donley sprinted back, leapt over the left field wall and made the catch.

This confirmed IU Coach Chris Lemonis’ decision to shift Donley to left field this season from designated hitter, where he had played the last two seasons.

“He’s earned it to this point,” Lemonis said. “And it lets me do more with the DH with Ricky Alfonso and a couple other guys that we can get into the lineup and make us a little better ?offensive team.”

Donley has been named First Team All-Big Ten the past two seasons, amassing 108 RBIs during both of those seasons.

One of these replacements is senior Brad Hartong.

Hartong spent last season playing left field, but he will be tasked with replacing Schwarber behind the plate this season.

Hartong hit .313 last year, earning him a First Team All-Big Ten selection.

Last year’s right fielder, senior Will Nolden, will shift to center field.

This gives freshman Logan Sowers a chance to play every day in right field.

“He’s just a big, physical, athletic kid who has a chance to hit for power, and he’s got a feel for the game,” Lemonis said. “That’s what’s put him ahead with us.”

As for the corner infield replacements, Lemonis is choosing to go with more of a platoon at both first and third base.

First base will be played primarily by the duo of sophomores — Austin Cangelosi and Craig Dedelow.

In 25 games last season, five starts, Cangelosi compiled a .257 batting average, one home run and three RBIs in 35 at bats. He has never started at first base in his career.

Dedelow played in 36 games last season, starting 15 in the outfield. He hit .232 with three extra base hits in 69 at bats.

At third base, Lemonis will be using a platoon of junior Brian Wilhite and freshman Isiah Pasteur.

In 22 at bats last season, Wilhite hit .222 with two RBIs. He also started four games at shortstop.

On the mound, IU is choosing to replace its ?starters with relievers.

Its two top relievers from last season — junior Scott Effross and sophomore Jake Kelzer — will be moving into the starting rotation.

Effross will be starting Fridays this season while Kelzer will be the Sunday starter. Returning starter junior Christian Morris will start Saturdays.

Effross appeared in a Big Ten high and IU record 32 appearances, posting an ERA on 1.98, primarily as the closer after senior Ryan Halstead tore his ACL early in the season.

“It’s really exciting just to know that I’ll be a starter,” Effross said. “It’s definitely a different role, but I’m definitely looking forward to it.”

During the summer, Effross played in the Cape Cod League, where he was named an All-Star.

Lemonis praised Effross’ consistency, saying a Friday starter needs to be someone who he can trust to consistently deliver quality starts.

IU also returns Halstead to the bullpen after he missed most of last season.

Halstead is the IU leader in total saves, with 23, as well as the single season save record with 11.

Also expected to have large roles in the bullpen this season are senior Luke Harrison, sophomore Thomas Belcher, junior Evan Bell and redshirt freshman Austin Foote.