IU student finds couture dreams in London

Dennis Mu is a fashion designer who observed London's Fashion Week.

Dennis Mu, Fashion Design and Apparel Merchandising student at IU, brought his creative expertise to London this ?semester.

Mu’s work at IU has been admired by many. Students in the Fashion Design program have praised him as their teaching assistant in years past.

Today, Mu is enrolled in the fashion design program at Central Saint Martins, a school within the University of the Arts London and one of the most prestigious fashion schools in the city.

“I came to IU for Kelley,” Mu said. “I was told to do so since high school.”

This was until the second semester of freshman year.

“When I realized I could do business and fashion,” he said. “I thought, ‘amazing.’”

Some of his fashion influences include Deb Christiansen and Kate Rowold, professors from the Apparel Merchandising and Interior Design Department.

“I admitted my love for fashion at IU,” Mu said.

Mu took that love for fashion overseas.

London Fashion Week began Friday. The shows are held in the Kensington Gardens until today. Mu said he hoped to attend some of them before Fashion Week ended.

British style is very different than American style, Mu said. He talked about his new style appreciation for the posh and polished look of the Brits.

Mu said being in one of the fashion capitals of the world has been a part of his creative journey, but learning about merchandising brought his design process full circle.

Last summer, Mu interned for Michael Kors in New York City. He worked on the Men’s Collection Team doing merchandise planning. He also worked inside the showroom and helped research inspiration for the coming season.

From there, he moved upstairs to Oscar de la Renta’s studio and atelier.

In this internship, Mu assisted in designing and sourcing materials for de la Renta’s new collection. He brought individual garments to life from sketches.

“Couture is about the culture, the spirit, the garments as a piece of art,” he said.

De la Renta is remembered as one of the largest influences in the industry.

“He’s the last one from that classic period,” Mu said.

Mu is one of few in his generation to have experienced working with such an influential character in the business before de la Renta’s death in October 2014.

The fall 2015 collection “is so Oscar de la Renta,” Mu said. “I’m sure Mr. de la Renta would have loved it.”

During his internship, Mu helped the newly appointed creative director, Peter Copping, source materials for one of the looks in the fall collection.

The experience working with de la Renta has left a mark on Mu, who said he looks forward to having his own collection some day.

“I will make what I want to make, I’ll bring my fantasy to real life,” he said.

Mu said he wants his future brand to be couture, and he feels most inspired by Paris Fashion Week, the city of haute couture. Paris Fashion Week starts ?March 4.

“I want to have fun,” he said. “I love what I do, and that’s what keeps me getting up in the morning. I never feel exhausted a single day.”

This story has been updated.