IU Fashion Design students to host model call-out

For those who binge-watched “America’s Next Top Model,” walked around the house in their mother’s heels as a kid or have ever dreamed of becoming a model, the opportunity may have just arrived on campus.

In preparation for the upcoming IU Fashion Design Show on April 9, junior and senior fashion design students will host a model callout from 6-9 p.m. today at the Union Street Center Auditorium in Cedar Hall. Although the event starts at 6 p.m., it is an open-house style event and students are welcome to come and go as ?they please.

The event will be complete with photographers, videographers, a judging panel and fashion design students dispersed throughout Cedar Hall’s auditorium to help sign in and assist applicants.

They are in search of both male and female models, and ask that candidates come dressed in tight-fitting clothing and bring heels, according to the Facebook event.

A few different stations will be set up in the auditorium, beginning with an area designated for taking measurements. Models will then be photographed and walk for the panel of judges, according to Rebecca Sales, a senior fashion design student hosting the event.

No one particular body type or height is required for the callout, and all students are encouraged to audition. Sales explained that the process of choosing models typically depends on the designer and type of garment.

“Some people are looking for a different type of model, a different mood, vibe, maybe a different face,” Sales said.

Some might want tall models, but at the same time it doesn’t always matter, Sales said. Heels can also elevate a person. “More importantly, I would say it’s about how they’re going to fit in the garments you’re designing because some garments will look totally wrong on a certain body type but great on ?another,” she said.

As far as preparation for the callout goes, Sales offered a few tips for those who want to go the extra mile.

“My advice would be to watch some runway videos or look up pictures from some runway shows and figure out a little inspiration or insight into how they do it in the big leagues,” Sales said.

But the real secret to success? Strutting down the runway like you own it.

“Relax, have a good time and be confident,” Sales said.

Once the fashion design students have made their decisions, those models selected can expect to spend a lot of time with their designer, and will likely form a close relationship with them over the course of the semester.

In terms of availability, Sales said models are required to come in every two to three weeks for fittings. As the fashion show approaches, the designers will need to meet with models about once a week.

“The more availability they, have the better,” she said. “As we’re developing it’s nice to test out the mock-ups on the models.”

For more information or questions about the model call-out, contact ?aminyard@indiana.edu.