IU breaks two records, currently third place at Big Ten Championships

Indiana University’s men’s swimming and diving team finished day two of the Big Ten Championships in Iowa City, Iowa on Thursday.

The Hoosiers broke two records for the second day in a row to help keep them in third place with 199 points.

Sophomore Jackson Miller set the tone for IU by breaking the school record in the 500 freestyle. He finished in 4:16.09 which was good enough to place him in fourth overall. Freshmen Ali Khalafalla scored valuable points for Indiana in the 50 freestyle race by placing sixth.

Senior Mike Hurley raced a career best of 1:44.15 in the 200 individual medley to place fourth with teammates freshmen Blake Pieroni not far behind in seventh and senior Steve Schmuhl in ninth place.

Thursday was the first day of competition for the divers starting with the 1-meter dive. The Hoosiers made history in this event with sophomore Michael Hixon setting the new Big Ten record. He finished with a score of 474.45.

Freshmen James Conner did well in the 1M dive as well. He grabbed fourth place with his career best score of 394.55.

Indiana ended the night with sophomores Bob Glover, Max Irwin, junior Tanner Kruz and freshmen Blake Pieroni. These four Hoosiers placed sixth in the 400 medley relay to close the night.

Day three will start on Friday at 12:00 p.m. with prelims in the 400 individual medley, 100 betterfly, 200 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, 100 backstroke and the 3-meter diving event.