politics education

Higher education, internships discussed in address

The value of college, the importance of timely completion and the need to show knowledge are the three issues driving Indiana’s redesign of education.

Indiana Commission for Higher Education commissioner Teresa Lubbers emphasized these issues in Monday’s State of Higher Education Address.

While the value of a college degree is coming under more scrutiny, she spoke about a number of benefits of attaining a post-secondary education.

“Education is about preparing people to live meaningful, fulfilling lives,” ?Lubbers said.

Purdue University, in partnership with Gallup and the Lumina Foundation, developed the Gallup-Purdue Index, a system of measuring the satisfaction and well-being of college graduates. Its first report, which studied more than 30,000 higher education graduates, concluded “students get the most value out of their degrees when we give them the experience to succeed in the modern economy.”

Lubbers said college graduates earn an average of $20,000 more per year than non-college graduates.

Lubbers also acknowledged another issue many college students face: being able to graduate on time.

“The most affordable degree is an on-time degree, and piling on debt by delaying graduation is a serious problem,” Lubbers said. “Borrowing money and not graduating is disastrous.”

She focused on a number of policies many universities and colleges have implemented to counteract this and mentioned a project the ICHE has implemented, the 15-to-Finish Campaign ?in Indiana.

The 15-to-Finish Campaign highlights the importance of graduating in four years and encourages students to enroll in 15 credit hours each semester. Lubbers announced the progress the campaign ?has made.

“Just one year after financial aid reforms went into ?effect, we are already seeing double-digit improvements in the number of students enrolling and completing 30 or more credits per year,” Lubbers said. “This is a giant step towards better graduation rates, more affordable college degrees and a stronger Hoosier workforce.”

To address the need to show more knowledge, Lubbers said there is a growing necessity for students to be able to partake in internships or work-based learning while studying at a ?university.

“What we’re witnessing in Indiana is a blurring of the lines between education and employment,” Lubbers said in her address. “A small — but growing — number of young students are receiving post-secondary education and job training at the same time, and more older adults are deciding to return and complete their education while working.”

Lubbers credited the state’s universities for working to adapt degree programs to fit the needs for employers in today’s economy but said she didn’t think colleges and universities are taking it far enough.

“We need our institutions to identify and face the needs of our modern economy head on, and that means a determined departure from the insulated world of academia,” Lubbers said. “Building on what has been the most successful higher education system in the world, we are facing new demands from ?employers.”

Recently, employers have begun to demand more educated and trained employees.

“It should be the rule and not the exception that students have quality, work-based learning,” Lubbers said.

This builds upon the goal that has been set by Gov. Mike Pence, Lt. Gov. Sue Ellspermann and the IHCE to add 10,000 more internships in the state of Indiana.

“It’s time for Indiana to increase efforts that give more Hoosiers the education tools they need to live meaningful lives,” Lubbers said. “Our state depends ?on it.”