First Republican in eight years files for Bloomington mayor

For the first time in eight years, the City of Bloomington has a Republican candidate for mayor. John Turnbull officially filed his candidacy for mayor on Wednesday. He is the fourth candidate to do so.

Turnbull currently serves as the Division Director of Sports for the Bloomington City Department of Parks and Recreation.

Originally from Michigan, Turnbull has worked for the City of Bloomington for the past 26 years.

“I have just been drawn to the interests of the city at large and have just found myself more and more motivated and interested in those issues,” Turnbull said. “But it’s not been my role or not been my place to be involved up until this point.”

In addition to Turnbull, three Democrats have thrown their hat into the ring for mayor: John Hamilton, Darryl Neher and John ?Linemeier.

Turnbull said it will be a challenge to run as a Republican ?candidate in Bloomington.

“I recognize it’s an uphill battle,” Turnbull said. “I’m being very ?realistic, but I think it is possible.”

David Sabbagh, the last Republican to run for mayor of Bloomington, received 38.5 percent of the vote in his 2007 campaign against current Bloomington Mayor ?Mark Kruzan.

Turnbull said he plans to focus his platform on making the city government more efficient and said he relies on his experience in government to do so.

“Government involvement can be used when it’s needed or when the economy is struggling or when certain areas or people are struggling,” Turnbull said. “But it can really back off when it’s not necessary and let the free market take its course.”

The deadline for candidates to file is Friday at noon.