State of State address outlines goals for education, health

“Let’s get to work.”

That was Gov. Mike Pence’s closing remark in the State of the State Address he gave Tuesday night.

The address began at ?7 p.m. in front of a joint session of the Indiana General Assembly in the House Chambers.

Some of the most prevalent themes of his speech were in regards to Indiana’s budget.

“Together, we’ve made Indiana the fiscal envy of the country,” Pence said. “We’ve balanced budgets, funded priorities, maintained strong reserves and still passed the largest state tax cut in Indiana history.”

Pence also addressed the reforms and plans for the future of Indiana in areas such as education, health and infrastructure.

“To remain the crossroads of America, let’s invest another $300 million in new funding for roads, and let’s give our cities and towns new resources to plan strategies for growth,” Pence said.

The Healthy Indiana Plan, which was created more than six years ago, and a new proposal that Pence mentioned in his address will give more low-income Hoosiers the chance to receive quality insurance, Pence said.

Another highlight was focusing on education and the priority it received in the recommended budget Pence submitted to the ?General Assembly last week.

Referring to his budget, Pence mentioned several goals for the future of education in Indiana, in addition to a few components of his recommended budget that related to education.

Pence mentioned the increase of funding for education across the state by $200 million for the next two fiscal years, an increase of $10 million each year for funding scholarships for a new pre-K program and another $20 million more each year to support career and ?vocational opportunities.

One of his specified goals was to increase the quality of education in Indiana, to have 100,000 students enrolled in high quality schools and to increase the number of students who graduate with an industry-recognized credential by the year 2020.

“If we act with resolve and are bold, we will fulfill Indiana’s promise for this generation and the next,” Pence said in his closing remarks. “And we will do it all the Indiana way: based on fiscal responsibility, self-reliance, personal responsibility and the values and common sense that are synonymous with the Hoosier state.”