In the spirit of Martin Luther King Jr. Day

“Black lives matter,” I heard a large crowd chant again and again Monday as I walked along College Mall Road to work.

The protesters were blocking traffic while holding signs and chanting and were surrounded by many policemen.

The crowd was reclaiming the justice that was supposed to be celebrated on Martin Luther King ?Jr. Day.

Demonstrations on MLK Day seemed to be especially prominent and powerful this year in ?comparison to the past.

This may be due to the multiple deaths of black men like Michael Brown who have been killed by white police officers. These protests are ?effective and necessary.

In past years when I have attended MLK Day events, there seemed to be only a small amount of white people who were ?actively participating.

It was incredibly moving to see such a change this year when the majority of College Mall protesters standing up for black lives were white.

It’s easy to forget the hardships of racism when you don’t experience them.

These protests help us recognize and acknowledge that we need to support others who experience unfair racial ?disparities.

During the protest, drivers who were forced to take a detour honked and yelled at protesters.

I admit, I was a little upset that I had to be two minutes late to work.

But I was quickly reminded that my inconvenience, along with the drivers’, was immeasurable compared to the families who have lost loved ones to racial discrimination. I can take two minutes out of my day to recognize this.

It is extremely refreshing to see a revival in the fight for equal and fair treatment for everybody.

Instead of honking and yelling at protesters, we need to respect them if we are not able to participate with them.