Straight No Chaser to perform at auditorium

Straight No Chaser

Male a cappella group Straight No Chaser will be making a stop at the IU Auditorium as part of its Happy Hour Tour. The group, comprised of IU alumni, released its album “Under The Influence” in the spring of 2013, followed by the recent release of “Under The Influence: Holiday Edition” in November. The concert will take place Dec. 18.

According to the band’s bio, Straight No Chaser was originally founded at IU in 1996 and consisted of “10 guys who happened to be good friends and also liked to sing.” The members began graduating in 1999 and went on to find jobs outside of the music industry. However, the group reassembled and generated success with two holiday albums including “Holiday Spirits” in 2008 and “Christmas Cheers” in 2009. It first strayed from holiday music in 2010 with the release of its album “With A Twist,” which covered popular songs and featured a track with Barry Manilow.

Straight No Chaser featured more popular artists on its fourth full-length album “Under The Influence.” The group reached out to some of its favorite artists to be featured on the album, according to the album’s press release.

“The result is an inspired and unprecedented a cappella reimagining of classic songs by SNC and the icons who made them famous,” the press release said.

“Under The Influence” includes songs performed alongside artists like Paul McCartney, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Jason Mraz, Colbie Caillat and Sara Bareilles.

Straight No Chaser also recently released a holiday single with actress and singer Kristen Bell from its most recent EP “Under The Influence: Holiday Edition.” The single is titled “Text Me Merry Christmas.”

“Audiences can expect to hear plenty of what has made SNC famous — creative a cappella renditions of holiday and pop music hits filled with humor and loads of charm,” associate director for the IU Auditorium Maria Talbert said in an email.

Talbert also said the community goes all out to show its support for the IU alumni. She even described the group’s shows at IU as being “especially magical.”

“It will be a high-energy and hilarious night that showcases the extreme talent that is produced at IU,” Talbert said.

The concert takes place 8 p.m. Dec. 18 at the IU Auditorium. Ticket prices are $55, $47 and $37 for non-IU students and $50, $37 and $20 for IU students.

“There are so many reasons to be excited for the show,” Talbert said. “It is a great kickoff into the holiday season’s festivities, and it’s a perfect way to celebrate our awesome IU alums.”