sports women's basketball

IU picks up ACC/Big Ten Challenge win against Boston College

Freshman forward Amanda Cahill surveys the court during IU's game against Valpraiso on Tuesday at Assembly Hall.

IU found itself up by about 10 points close to halfway through the second half for the second consecutive game.

Against Indiana State, IU collapsed. The Sycamores rallied and handed IU its first loss of the season.

Tuesday against Boston College, that changed.

IU led wire to wire in a 76-67 win against Boston College as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

“I think the big thing for us is we were in the same situation tonight as we were a few nights ago against Indiana State,” IU Assistant Coach Todd Starkey said on 105.1 FM after the game. “We handled ourselves in tight situations better than we did.”

After being held to just 10 points on 2-for-11 shooting against Indiana State, freshman guard Tyra Buss bounced back to score a career-high 24 points to lead the Hoosiers.

The win improves IU’s all-time Challenge record to 5-3. The Hoosiers (5-1) have now defeated their ACC opponents for three consecutive seasons.

The victory was IU’s first road win of the season in the team’s first opportunity.

“It’s going to be a learning process throughout the season, especially in these road games when it’s going to be difficult, so I’m really proud of how we played,” Starkey said.