Before results, Young confident in Republican victory

Republican candidate Todd Young speaks with Bloomington residents upon arrival at the election party.

As he walked into the packed room  at Macri’s at the Depot , Rep. Todd Young, R-9th District, was greeted by a loud round of applause from his supporters.

Young, who is running for his third term representing Indiana’s ninth district, said he is secure in tonight’s outcome.

“I’m quite confident,” Young said. “You never, of course, want to make any determinations about the results before we hear from the opponents, or it becomes clear that things didn’t go your way.”

Young is running against Democrat Bill Bailey and Libertarian Mike Frey. Young said his experiences campaigning have him feeling sure about tonight’s results.

“Based on what I heard from folks on the ground today and my experiences over recent months and weeks, I felt pretty confident coming into today,” Young said. “I think it’s going to be a good night generally for Republicans and for a change in direction in Washington.”

Young said his campaign made a push the last few weeks before the election, making phone calls and using social media networks to get his message out.

Supporters of Young also felt convinced Young would secure his third term in congress.

“I would say there’s a 90-percent chance he will win,” said Steve Hogan, chair of the Monroe County Republican Party.

Hogan said Young has been an effective congressman in his two terms in the United States House of Representatives so far.

Riley Parr, chair of the IU College Republicans, said he is almost certain of a Young victory tonight.

Parr said a victory for Young tonight would give Young more seniority in Congress, meaning he would be able to more effectively legislate.

Young currently serves on the House Ways and Means committee, the committee in the U.S. Congress responsible for taxation and banking.

Parr said Young's membership on the committee is especially important to Indiana's 9th district.

“It will give him a better opportunity to better represent us in a body that sometimes takes a little while to get things done,” Parr said.