Tony Award-winning ?‘Anything Goes’ opens Monday evening

Anything Goes is coming to the IU Auditorium on Monday and Tuesday at 8 p.m.

Cole Porter’s three-time Tony Award-winning musical “Anything Goes” will open 8 p.m. this evening at the IU Auditorium.

Having originally opened in 1934, this modern revival of the show takes audiences out to sea as “two unlikely pairs set off on the course to true love ... proving that sometimes destiny needs a little help from a crew of singing sailors, an exotic disguise and some good old-fashioned blackmail,” according to IU Auditorium.

Dennis Setteducati plays Moonface Martin, an optimistic second-rate gangster. This is Setteducati’s third time performing on campus at IU Auditorium.

“We’ve had a lot of fun in Bloomington,” he said. His first two shows were “The Drowsy Chaperone” and “Fiddler on the Roof.”

“The theater space is great,” he said, adding that the audiences are responsive.

This is especially important since the audience almost becomes a character in the show.

In Setteducati’s opinion, an audience’s laughter drives the show, much like how a character influences the plot.

“It’s sort of like the fifth character in the show,” he said.

Setteducati described “Anything Goes” as an ?escapist comedy that is easy and fun to watch. Simplifying, he said the show was “just awesome” with timeless songs.

“It’s a shiny, classic example of a classic Broadway show,” he said.

Setteducati compared his character to “Sherlock” because Moonface Martin gets into trouble every so often, is quick, witty and has a positive outlook on life.

“I’m very much like him in a way,” Setteducati said.

He said he is always trying to live his life with the same sense of positivity.

“What’s great about ?acting is getting to jump into different characters,” he said, adding that the key to acting successfully is being able to find something relatable.

“You really have to find a way to connect to these characters,” he said.

Inevitably, Setteducati said, the character becomes a part of the actor, adding that he always feels a sense of loss when a show ends.

With the show only being a month into its tour, he will not have to part with Moonface Martin anytime soon.

“My show is just so fun, so easy, endearing and charming,” he said.

“It’s always a part of you,” he said about his character, adding that this aspect of acting is part of the experience of being a character actor. It’s a continuous process of growing into a character and then leaving it behind when the show ends.

Setteducati said for him, the best part of the show is that despite how rambunctious the plot is, it is still relatable. All these people are real people, he said.

“It’s all honest, and it’s all truthful,” he said. That’s why the show has lasted this long, he said.