Self-publishing provides independence for writers

If you ever want to get heated about “The Man,” businesses that profit from artists are a suitable start.

Middlemen have consistently ripped off artists throughout history, from recording companies to producers to publishing companies.

After talk of readers writing their own books, I wanted to learn more about it. Self-publishing has become easier than ever with the help of sites such as lulu.com and the rise of e-books.

How grand, to be your own writer, editor and publisher. So why in the world should you self-publish instead of signing in blood and selling your soul to a publishing company?

Well, first off, more money. If your novel takes off and manages to hit an important best-sellers list, your earnings are greater.

Authors that use traditional publishing usually earn about 10 percent of their book’s sales in royalties, whereas self-publishing gives you 100 percent, according to mindstirmedia.com .

Believe it or not, copyright is vital in this country that prides itself on innovation and invention. You can sue someone for simply taking your idea.

But the minute you sign a contract with a publishing company, you are also signing over the rights to your work.

That means if Hollywood ever comes knocking with hopes of putting your book on the big screen, it’s possible you’ll end up having no say in the decision.

Speed also comes into play with self-publishing. Writing up contracts, making deals and shaking hands takes a bit of time.

Your book could end up sitting in the backlog of your computer for a while before it ever makes it to print, especially if the company decides for one reason or another to hold off publishing your work. You can print your book sooner the minute you decide to do it yourself.

Though bigwig publishing companies have some sway in mass production and advertising, the idea is determining if it’s worth the price at the expense of your talents.

Now imagine you ended up printing with traditional publishing. Your first book was such a hit, the publishing company wants to sign a contract to publish your next two novels and even gave you a handsome advance to get you going.

But, wham! Writer’s block. Once you’ve made a set commitment with a publishing company, it’s harder to back out.

You’re obligated to deadlines and if your book isn’t up to par with the one before, they’ll send it back in a heartbeat.

But when your boss is yourself, you decide when, how and what to write.

The focal point of the American Dream in the workforce is to own and run your own business.

Self-publishing turns that fantasy into a reality. Formally, publishing companies dominated the industry, and a writer could expect to earn a small percentage of their work.

The shift in the publishing methods is starting to rightfully return the due respect and power to the artist.

Support authors who self-publish. Celebrate the idea of the independent artist. If you’ve ever dreamed of doing it yourself, the only obstacle is yourself.