The Republican party will empower us

Tomorrow marks the continuation of the greatest experiment of self-governance in human history.

For the past 238 years , Americans have pursued the ideals of our nation’s founding.

Whether they are Federalists, Whigs, Democrats or Republicans, Election Day has always been about expressing most deeply held and personal beliefs on almost every facet of the American way of life.

Increasingly, we have seen two parties vying for electoral dominance.

Because of our rich diversity, we do not expect to agree on every issue.

This is true even within the Indiana Daily Student’s Editorial Board.

I write to you today to explain and clarify why I call myself a Republican.

This nation, unlike so many others, was not founded along religious or ethnic lines.

It was from the beginning a confederation of people with widely disparate and oftentimes ?conflicting views.

Even amidst the throes of our revolution we could not stay together.

But to say that we cannot find common ground is incorrect.

A fair tax system, a strong national defense, a growing economy and the promise of a brighter future are all policy matters that we can agree on.

Though no political party is ever perfect, I choose to give my vote to the Republican Party because America cannot be spoken about through purely racial, ethnic or gender ?related lines.

Utilizing an “us vs. them” mentality or similar divide-and-conquer tactics does not speak well for a party’s ability to appeal broadly.

That is not to say that there are not serious social questions that we must decide as a nation, but with so much going on around the world and here at home, our policy makers must be ready to continue substantive debate over ?nuanced and tricky ?subjects.

Rewriting our tax code to make it fairer and easier to file, taking advantage of, potentially, a century’s worth of natural gas in the United States and loosening burdensome regulations to make America the best place to do business are all things that we stand for.

The Republican Party believes in empowering American citizens to make choices the way they see fit. Washington, D.C., should never command or control the economy.

Nor should it seek to enrich itself through crony capitalist ventures. The best way to move us forward is to remember what made us great in the past and apply it to our new age.

So when you step into the ballot box tomorrow, ask yourself whether we have seen true leadership from those asking for your vote.

Ask yourself who can better end the malaise that has seemingly permeated our domestic and foreign affairs.

The positions are set and the starting gun is about to fire as we step into what is left of our changed world.