Cardinal Stage performs classic play

Cardinal Stage Company presents "A Streetcar Named Desire" opening Nov. 7 at the Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center.

The play that excelled the careers of American actors Marlon Brando and Vivien Leigh and is regarded as a cultural phenomenon of the theater world will be reenacted 7:30 p.m. Friday.

The Cardinal Stage Company will dive further in the autumn season with the production of Tennessee Williams’ “A Streetcar Named Desire” at the Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center ?Auditorium.

Labeled as one of America’s greatest plays by the company’s website, the 1947 Pulitzer-winning drama will run until Nov. 23.

Randy White, who serves as the artistic director for the Cardinal Stage Company production, said he is thrilled to produce this play and feels it is a significant story in the realm of theater.

“It’s a professional production that changed the American plays with two of the greatest fictional characters ever made,” White said. “If you enjoy plays, this production is a must-see. It is a part of our culture.”

According to the production’s website, “A Streetcar Named Desire” focuses on Blanche Dubois, a southern belle who seeks shelter with her younger sister Stella in New Orleans.

Tensions rise between her and Stella’s husband, Stanley, who is determined to find out the truth to why Blance moved in with them.

The Cardinal Stage Company decided to create a bucket list of some of the greatest plays for the Bloomington stage. White wanted to do a Tennessee Williams play and said he felt they should start off with his best-written play “A Streetcar Named Desire.”

“Williams is our most lyrical playwright with how he understands writing for the stage,” White said. “His dialogue is organic and he writes a killer plot and his language just soars. He has the whole package.”

Bloomington resident Heidi Walters said she is interested in going to see this classic production being revived and presented on the Bloomington stage.

“This is an iconic play, and I have no doubt in my mind that Randy White will deliver,” said Walters. “Nearly every one of his productions have been enjoyable and worth the ticket of admission. It’s exciting to see one of the greatest plays directed by him.”

The production’s main cast features actors Carrie Lee Patterson as Blanche Dubois, IU alumnus Matt Holzfiend as Stanley Kowalski, Amanda Catania as Stella Kowalski and Vincent Teninty as Harold Mitchell.

The play also features a set design by Cardinal’s resident designer, Mark Smith, a director of the IU Opera’s paint and prop shop.

With the Cardinal’s “Streetcar” production, White said he hopes viewers are engaged with the story and find themselves enthralled, looking at the conflict occuring between the four main characters.

“I want the audience to find themselves understanding and getting inside the scenario and understanding the human condition to why they are in that scenario,” White said. “I am hoping people will love the experience and find out how it relates to the world we live in now.”

Tickets for “A Streetcar Named Desire” start at $19.95 for adults and $13.95 for students.

“The play has an explosive structure and quality with great humor,” White said. “The challenge of making this classic play was to do it in an exciting and truthful way.”

Tickets can be purchased at the box office at their official location at 900 South Walnut St. or online at ? cardinalstage.org .