Meet your Candidates for State Legislature

Like the federal legislative system, the Indiana General Assembly consists of a Senate and a House of Representatives. Voters will decide who will fill the 25 Senate seats and the 100 seats in the House of Representatives during the midterm election Nov. 4.

Here are the representative candidates for districts in Monroe County. There are no Senate races for the area. This information was aggregated from candidate websites.

DISTRICT 46

James R. Mann (D)

Mann, a teacher at Terre Haute South Vigo High School, advocates for working men and women and schools.

Bob Heaton (R )

Rep. Heaton serves on the Financial Institutions, Insurance and National Resources committees. He has written six bills, including one that states a child support order may not include amounts for higher education funding unless specified.

DISTRICT 60

Daymon L. Brodhacker (D)

First-time political candidate Brodhacker hopes to lower student loan debt. He would also like to see changes in standardized testing and teacher evaluations in Indiana schools.

Peggy Mayfield (R)

Rep. Mayfield has served in the Indiana House of Representatives since 2012. She proposed a bill to bar out-of-state students from voting in the state in which they attend college.

DISTRICT 61

Matt Pierce (D)

An IU alumnus, Rep. Pierce has served since 2002. He has written six bills, including one that states colleges and universities must abide by the historical district ordinances of cities.

DISTRICT 62

Jeff Sparks (D)

Sparks, a Linton Middle School principal, would like to put more funding in public schools and higher wages for Indiana workers.

Ashley Keith Qualkenbush (L)

Qualkenbush, from Bloomington, opposes strict gun control, supports same-sex marriage and advocates for assistance for members of the military who have experienced sexual abuse.

Matt Ubelhor (R)

Rep. Ubelhor, who has served since 2010, is on the Ways and Means and Natural Resources committees. He has authored three bills, including a bill that makes it easier for the state to purchase substitute natural gas.

DISTRICT 65

Eric A. Koch (R)

Rep. Koch, an alumnus of the Maurer School of Law, has written 13 bills, most recently one requiring law enforcement officials to obtain a search warrant prior to searching unmanned aerial vehicles.