weekend

"Gone Girl" review

Grade: A

I’m only going to give one spoiler in this review, and here it is: you see Ben Affleck’s penis.

“Gone Girl,” the cinematic adaptation of the Gillian Flynn novel of the same name, opened in theaters Friday. In the spirit of full disclosure, I’ll admit I haven’t read the book, but I still absolutely adored this messed-up, truly twisted, sickeningly beautiful film.

It’s the story of a man, Nick Dunne, whose wife, Amy, has gone missing and, thanks to the story-ravenous media, becomes hated by the entire country, who seems to think he killed her.

Let me tell you, it feels great to be back into awards season.

“Gone Girl” is directed by David Fincher, the same brilliant man behind “Fight Club” and “The Social Network,” among others, and his graceful strokes of dark directing are back in spades.

Writing, acting and production aside, directing is where “Gone Girl” makes a case for itself as one of the best films of the year so far.

Tone and atmosphere are so incredibly important to absolutely nail with a story this complex, and Fincher hit that fine, fine line with spot-on accuracy.

“Gone Girl” teeters on psychosis, putting us in the shoes of its protagonist, Nick, played by Ben Affleck in his highest form.

Rosamund Pike plays the titular role of Amy Dunne, a role that is beyond just difficult to play, with grace and style.

Our two leads have a huge task. Nick and Amy are two wildly complex characters with motivations that are never entirely visible, and Affleck and Pike reflect Flynn’s story as it should be done.

Flynn’s writing is genius. Right when you think the mystery’s been “solved,” the story really just begins.

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ score fits this movie like a glove. It’s creepy, brooding and entirely unsettling.

The movie aggressively comments about marriage and today’s media, among many other topics. Cynicism and bitterness seep through the pages of the script. Nick and Amy’s deranged relationship offers the idea that marriage is a prison.

“Gone Girl” is one of the most calculated, expertly crafted films of the year. Go see it.