sports women's soccer

Dreher picks up academic honor

IU senior midfielder Rebecca Dreher was named Second Team Academic All-District 5, the College Sports Information Directors of America announced Thursday.

Dreher becomes just the second player in IU women’s soccer history to earn the honor on two occasions.

To be eligible for the award, student athletes must have at least a 3.30 cumulative GPA and be in at least their second year at the institution. The player must also be a starter or a significant player off the bench to be considered.

Dreher, a fifth-year senior from Westlake, Ohio, has appeared in 16 games for IU this season, collecting 12 starts.

It marks the 10th time in program history that an IU women’s soccer player has earned either first or second team honors. Dreher was joined by teammate Shannon Flower to earn the award last year.

The other former Hoosier to win the accolade twice was Carly Everett, who was named to the first team in 2002 and the second team in 2003.

Dreher has previously been named Academic All-Big Ten twice in her career and earned the Jack D. Techenor award, which is annually handed out to the IU student athlete with the highest GPA.

Dreher will join five other senior teammates in playing the final games of their careers for IU on Friday at 7 p.m. against Michigan State at Bill Armstrong Stadium.