sports volleyball

Volleyball goes 2-1 during weekend

spVolleyball

Despite early victories, the IU volleyball team lost to Butler to finish the ?weekend.

The Hoosiers (9-3) started their weekend by playing the Buffalo Bulls (9-4). After the Bulls tied the game at one set apiece, the Hoosiers responded by taking the next two sets to win the match.

Sophomore outside hitter Taylor Lebo led the Hoosiers to victory with 17 kills while committing six hitting errors, finishing with an above average .333 hitting percentage.

“Usually if I do the process (serving), the outcome is an ace or getting them out of system,” Lebo said. “As long as it helps my team I am going to stick with it.”

Lebo provided an offensive spark with her hard serve and finished with 15 digs.

IU Coach Sherry Dunbar-Kruzan said she prepares her players for these big game moments.

“Keep it simple, and follow the game plan,” Dunbar-Kruzan said.

In the second game, the Hoosiers cruised past the Western Illinois Leathernecks (2-11) 3-0 in sets.

While the first set was a close 25-22 victory for the Hoosiers, the team gradually widened the margin of victory, winning the second set 25-17 and the third ?25-13.

With the ball inches from the ground, Lebo dove and knocked the ball up in the air with one hand to sophomore middle blocker Chante George.

George tipped the ball over the net to earn a point for the Hoosiers in the first set.

Lebo and senior outside hitter Morgan Leach led the attack with 13 and 12 kills, respectively. Leach finished with zero errors, culminating in a .750 attacking percentage in 16 total attempts.

On defense, Lebo and junior defensive specialist Courtney Harnish finished with 10 digs each.

In the final game, the Butler Bulldogs (8-4) swept the Hoosiers 3-0 in sets.

While the Hoosiers lost each set, the game was back-and-forth.

The Bulldogs won by two points each set, including the last set that finished 30-28 in favor of Butler.

Lebo and Leach’s hitting percentages fell to .233 and .160, respectively, against Butler.

In the second set, Lebo had back-to-back aces.

Offensively, Bulldogs’ junior middle blocker specialist Stephanie Kranda and freshman outside hitter Belle Obert outmatched the Hoosiers with 13 and 16 kills, respectively.

Defensively, Butler freshman setter Makayla Ferguson recorded 12 digs, giving Butler chances to counter the vaunted Hoosier attack.

Although the Hoosiers could not finish the weekend with a win, the team’s performance improved its record to 9-3.

The Hoosiers play Michigan State at 8 p.m. Friday at University Gym.