sports women's soccer

Ohio State stuns IU in overtime after last-second goal

IU was just two seconds away.

IU led Ohio State 1-0 for most of Friday’s game. The Hoosiers scored in the 38th minute off a corner from senior defender Tori Keller that found the head of junior midfielder Jessie Bujouves.

But with time ticking down, Ohio State got the ball into the box. 

There was contact. A Buckeye went to the ground. A referee was quick to the scene and awarded Ohio State with a penalty kick.

There wasn't much IU junior goalie Sarah Stone could do. Ohio State's Kayla Varner sent a shot to the lower 90, tying the game and forcing overtime with only two seconds left on the clock.

Seven minutes into the first overtime period, Michela Paradiso scored once again for Ohio State, finalizing what was a stunning loss.

“I’m absolutely gutted,” IU Coach Amy Berbary said. “This is one that’s going to unfortunately stick in their heads for a while.”

Seconds after allowing the game-winning goal, the entire IU team met together at midfield. 

Berbary said the overtime loss stung a little more because she was predominantly pleased with the way her team played. She said Friday was the best IU (4-3, 0-1) had played all season.

But Keller said once again, luck didn't fall the Hoosiers' way against the Buckeyes (4-3, 1-0)

“All year we’ve kind of had a monkey on our back,” Keller said. “Nothing you can do. The ref made a tough call. They took advantage…Obviously just devastating.”

Bujouves’ goal was her fifth in seven games. Keller’s assist was her first point of the season.

Bujouves and Berbary both agreed that IU’s offense played well.

The Hoosiers and Buckeyes both had 12 shots and five on goal. Before Ohio States’ game-winner, senior midfielder Jordan Woolums nearly gave IU a win herself, but was called offside and pushed a shot wide.

“I thought we attacked well,” Berbary said. “I thought our transition tonight after we won the ball was fantastic. We made the keeper make saves.”

The Hoosiers will need to quickly put Friday’s loss behind them. The No. 8 Penn State Nittany Lions will come to Bloomington Sunday for a 1 p.m. match at Jerry Yeagley Field.

“You don’t remember all the games you play in college but this is one that will stick in their heads the rest of their life,” Berbary said. “We only hope now that we use it as motivation to push through.”