McRobbie receives award from Hillel

President Michael McRobbie received the Chaver Award from the Hillel Center on Friday.

As McRobbie accepted the award, which symbolizes friendship, he credited Hillel and Rabbi Sue Laikin Silberberg for the positive effect the center has had on IU’s Jewish students, according to the University.

The Jewish student population at IU has grown from 175 students in 1938 , when the center first opened, to more than 4,000 today , according to a Sept. 15 press release.

“IU Hillel truly does serve a welcoming ‘home away from home’ for IU’s Jewish students, but it also stands as a beacon of understanding in the community,” McRobbie said. “I am truly honored to accept this award, and in doing so, I accept it on behalf of Indiana University and senior colleagues past and present who have consistently stood, when it mattered, for the values and principle IU shares with Hillel.”

McRobbie received the Anti-Defamation League’s “Man of Achievement Award” in January. The award is given to those who have demonstrated outstanding commitment to community, justice and equal opportunity for all, according to a Jan. 8 press release.

IU alumnus Michael “Mickey” Maurer also won the “Man of Achievement Award” alongside McRobbie.

McRobbie commended Hillel for working with other community organizations and campus programs to create a tolerant and diverse community, according to the University.