District 7 candidates weigh in on health care

A lack of documentation will cost many people in the United States their health care coverage, including many Hoosiers.

Across the nation, 115,000 people are in danger of losing their health care coverage through the Federal Marketplace program.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services announced Monday that 966,000 people had been contacted earlier this year to send in citizenship and immigration documentation. The deadline to turn in the documents is Sept. 30.

The Federal Marketplace is an option for citizens to get government-assisted health care coverage if they don’t have private insurance.

Candidates for District 7 U.S. Representative in Indiana have weighed in on this crossroads issue between health care and ?immigration.

District 7 covers the Indianapolis area.

Of those in danger of not being covered by the end of the month, 1,600 are from Indiana. This is down from the 5,100 total that were initially contacted in May.

However, the CMS said those who return documents after the deadline could be eligible for a special enrollment period to receive coverage.

Rep. André Carson, D-Ind., voted for the Affordable Care Act.

“While undocumented immigrants are not eligible for Marketplace coverage, I am hopeful that all of the individuals who are eligible were able to receive the assistance they needed to submit a complete application,” Carson said in an email.

He also said the large number of people losing their coverage because they do not have citizenship and immigration documentation is evidence of a need for immigration reform.

“These people are living and working among us but without a path to citizenship are unable to fully contribute to our economy,” Carson said.

Catherine Ping, Republican candidate for District 7 representative who is against the Affordable Care Act, shared her own views.

“If they’re not a citizen, they’re not entitled to the program,” Ping said. “It wasn’t designed for them. It was designed for those who are in the country legally.”

Along with the loss of some people’s coverage, Ping said she is anticipating the follow-up of people who are going to be taxed for their lack of coverage, such as herself.

“I’m going to be one of those people, and I’m OK with that,” Ping said.

Ping said she has a preexisting condition that is not covered by a lot of insurance agencies, and that federal market place coverage “isn’t any better.”

If chosen to serve in office, Ping said she would like to propose a cooperative program for small businesses to be able to purchase insurance from major medical ?companies.

Libertarian candidate Chris Mayo could not be reached for ?comment.

The midterm election is Nov. 4.

This story is part of a weekly series profiling members of the U.S. Congress and their opposing candidates for the midterm election Nov. 4. Candidates from each district will be interviewed on a rolling basis.