weekend

"What If" review

"What If"

‘What if’

Starring: Daniel Radcliffe,

Grade: B-

Summer can be a tough time for movies. It’s when all the studios release their bad comedies, blasé shoot-em-ups, animated kiddie flicks and “Transformers” sequels. It’s not quite awards season just yet, and the demographic of theatergoers becomes significantly younger.

But, in the summer, rare indie or indie-feeling gems appear that never get the hype of the Academy Awards Best Picture nominee list.

“What If” is one of those.

“What If” is the story of a medical school dropout named Wallace, played by Daniel Radcliffe, a hopeless romantic living in his sister’s attic and sulking over his ex, whom he broke up with over a year ago.

One night while at a house party with his college roommate and best friend, Allan, (played by a great-per-usual Adam Driver) Wallace meets Allan’s cousin, Chantry, a youthful, whimsical, charming girl, and immediately hits it off with her.

He offers to walk her home, gets her number and then learns the kicker that puts him back into his slump — Chantry, portrayed by a lovably innocent Zoe Kazan, has a boyfriend of five years.

Despite this roadblock, Wallace decides to hit off a friendship with Chantry, and the two of them quickly become inseparable best friends. All the while, Wallace’s feelings for Chantry grow, and Ben, Chantry’s boyfriend, is still very much in the picture.

It’s hard not to kind of fall in love, at least a little, with “What If.”

Radcliffe is so very charming, a casting choice that at first I was skeptical about but perfectly understood by the end of the movie. Rooting for Wallace is easy with Radcliffe’s realistically awkward flirting.

Our other lead, Kazan, also does a wonderful job. Her emotions are real, and she helps bring the story to life.

“What If” is by no means perfect, though.

For starters, the film tackles such a sticky situation with so many emotions that are so much larger and complex than the film seemingly wanted to explore. A dilemma such as Wallace and Chantry’s is incredibly difficult in real life, and that never really translates in the movie.

The other major problem with the movie is that it’s kind of, well ... basic. Everything about it is predictable. Everyone who should win, wins. Nothing about it seems noteworthy.

“What If” was definitely enjoyable for the hour and a half I was in the theater, but I don’t think I’ll remember the movie in about a week’s time.

And that’s sad, because with a little more inspired, fresh and creative writing, this movie could have been something so much more.

If only.

By Ike Hajinazarian