Snodgrass finds success in offseason

As just a sophomore, Brooklynn Snodgrass became only the second NCAA Champion in IU women’s swimming history, winning the 200-yard backstroke in 1:50.52, which was the second-fastest time in school history.

The Calgary, Alberta native is the reigning 100- and 200-yard backstroke Big Ten Champion for two years running and went on to be named Big Ten Swimmer of the Year.

Despite all the accolades, there was one thing she still wanted — to swim for her country.

This summer, she got that chance.

Snodgrass traveled across the globe to compete for the Canadian National team.

Simply being part of the team was a dream come true, she said.

“I have wanted to compete for my country on the senior level since I can remember,” Snodgrass said. “It was nice to see the hard work pay of this season.”

To make the team, she had to clock in under the top 16th time in the world and place in the top two in Canada in her event.

At the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, Snodgrass won bronze in the 50-meter backstroke, setting a new Canadian record in 27.97 seconds.

Last week at the Pan Pacific Games in Australia, she earned a second bronze medal as part of the 400-medley relay team.

“I gained a lot of confidence this summer,” she said. “It was my first senior team ever, so I was just soaking it all in. I learned ?a lot.”

Snodgrass said the only big difference between collegiate and international competition is the pool size.

While she competes in a 25-yard pool during the season, Snodgrass makes the switch to a 50-meter pool in the offseason.

But most importantly, she tries to stay consistent in her approach.

“To me, a race is a race no matter who it’s against or where it is,” Snodgrass said. “You kind of try to keep your races similar and perfect them over the years.”

Snodgrass returns as a junior this season for her Hoosier team.

“This summer, I just wanted to gain as much experience as possible,” she said. “I’m ready to get back to IU and start the season with my Hoosiers.”