weekend

Party right for a good night

Weekend gives you tips for a safe night out

Night Sky

Say something. The Lifeline Law has got your back.

The Lifeline Law provides immunity (meaning you won’t get in trouble) to minors against the crimes of minor possession, consumption and transportation of alcohol “while seeking medical assistance for a person suffering from an alcohol-related health emergency,” according to the law.

Here are the stipulations, though: you have to give your full name and any other information law enforcement needs, you have to remain on the scene until help arrives and you have to fully cooperate with the authorities. The Lifeline Law also only works with alcohol-related incidents, not other drugs. Don’t be afraid to call for help. You’re covered.

Source indianalifeline.org

Get consent. A real, verbal “Yes.”

Sex without consent is rape. Nineteen percent of college women will be sexually assaulted or will be the victim of attempted sexual assault during their four years in college, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Make sure verbal, conscious consent is given freely from all participants before engaging in any sexual activities. If you are assaulted or someone attempts to assault you, call 911 immediately.

Don’t drink on an empty stomach.

Don’t go to that cool party until after you’ve had a nice, big dinner. The age-old wisdom is very much true: alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream more quickly when you have an empty stomach. Don’t end the night early because you have to go puke for an hour.

Source mayoclinic.org

Be in charge of your own drinks.

We’re in college — we like to drink cheaply. A lot of times, that means Gatorade and crappy vodka. But no matter your cocktail of choice, don’t let someone else mix it. You never know what someone might have slipped into it or how much they have served you. In that same vein, don’t leave your drink unattended at a party. Hold onto it.

There are a million ways to get home. ?Don’t let drunk driving be one.

Plan in advance exactly how you’re going to get home after a night of drinking — whether it be the Night Owl bus, a taxi, a designated driver or just walking with a friend. Worst-case scenario: just ask to spend the night with someone. Drunk driving kills 28 people a day, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. A human life is far too high a price to pay for laziness.?

Pace yourself.

Don’t feel pressured into taking 10 shots in 10 minutes. That’s asking to get your stomach pumped. Drink casually and socially. Hold on to the same cup for an hour and sip it occasionally.

Know your limits.

Don’t drink more than you’re comfortable with just because it seems like that’s what others are doing. Early in the night, set a number of drinks you’re planning on having, and stick to it. When you’re done drinking, fill a solo cup with something non-alcoholic and rock that drink for the rest of the night.