What is a Hoosier?

IU mascot, the Bison

Okay, we get it.  No one knows what a hoosier is. 

But that hasn’t stopped the student body throughout the last century from defining what it could mean. From a fluffy Collie dog to a live, raging bull, here are some of IU’s mascot attempts and failures. 

White Collie, debuted 1935
Sororities and fraternities raised money to purchase a white collie, selected from a poll run by an honorary upperclassmen’s organization in the Indiana Daily Student.
While there were plans to unveil the collie at the Nov. 23, 1935, IU-Purdue football game, it is unclear whether the mascot ever came to fruition. In the last known report, students had only raised $37.27 of the $75 necessary to purchase a pedigreed pooch.
Hoosier Schoolmaster, debuted 1951
Then-sophomore Dick Albershardt came out at the beginning of games dressed as an old man, sporting a gray wig and glasses. He would throw them off and perform a gymnastics routine to get fans riled up for the game. But according to an IDS article from Feb. 19, 1952, the audience’s reception of the Schoolmaster was not always a warm one.
“In fifty years from now, if we keep the tradition, the Hoosier Schoolmaster, like the University of Illinois Indian, will arouse spirit just by walking onto the floor and will carry a fervent significance for all students and alumni of IU,” read the article.
Unfortunately, the Schoolmaster went the same way as the Illinois Indian and faded into the tomes of mascot history.
Ox the Bulldog, debuted 1959
Theta Chi’s house dog, Ox, made the transition from fraternity pet to school mascot and served for several years of his life. He could be found around the football games wearing a red sweater with a sewn-on white “I.” And in 1966, he was even walked by Mary Travers of folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary when she visited IU for a game.
Bison, debuted 1965
This was known as the school’s first “official” mascot because the Student Senate selected it in an official vote. Though the University attempted to purchase a live buffalo for the second time (the first was in 1946), the plan was foiled yet again by safety concerns for both the bull and the crowd.
Instead, Disney helped create a $1,400 costume. Despite the high costs, they forgot to cut out eyeholes in the bull’s head, making mascot performances especially difficult.
The buffalo head was eventually hung up for good in 1969 because of criticism from fans and alumni.
Mr. Hoosier Pride, debuted 1979
Probably one of the most strongly disliked mascots of Hoosier history, this costumed cowboy had to be played by two students in the course of one football game because the costume was so heavy, hot and difficult to maneuver.
One of Mr. Hoosier Pride’s most memorable moments was tackling the Brigham Young University cougar mascot when IU made an appearance at the Holiday Bowl, but students and alumni alike supposedly hated this mascot.
“Mr. Hoosier Pride is the most asinine and ridiculous-looking character anyone could have dreamed up to be IU’s mascot,” a student wrote to the IDS.
In addition, several alumni sent letters demanding the mascot’s removal. Mr. Hoosier Pride eventually hung up the costume after only a couple of seasons.