crime & courts

Bloomfield man arrested on attempted murder charges

From IDS Reports

A Bloomfield, Ind., man was arrested early Wednesday morning and faces a charge of attempted murder after he drove onto the sidewalk and intentionally struck a pedestrian, according to a press release from the Bloomington Police Department.

Danilo Caceres, 27, got into an argument at a bar with his girlfriend and several others. He got into his car to leave the area and witnesses said he struck his girlfriend’s car, which was parked on the 100 block of South Walnut Street.

A 27-year-old male saw Caceres leaving after hitting the car, and he ran toward Caceres’s vehicle. Caceres got out of his car and struck the victim. The victim attempted to walk away after the incident, but Caceres drove onto the sidewalk and ran into the victim with the front bumper of his car.

The victim reported he was run over and dragged several feet by Caceres’s car. He was transported to IU Health Bloomington Hospital for further evaluation.

Caceres fled the scene in his vehicle and officers pursued him around 1 a.m. An officer attempted to stop the vehicle on West Third Street, but Caceres did not pull over. Caceres, who was also operating the vehicle while intoxicated, continued driving south on Garrison Chapel Road.

The pursuing officer lost sight of the vehicle but noticed it to the side of the road shortly after. Caceres had apparently been unable to round a curve on the road and struck a tree. Caceres was taken into custody shortly after.

Caceres was booked in Monroe County Jail and faces charges of attempted murder, operating while intoxicated, criminal recklessness, reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident causing serious bodily injury, battery by bodily waste on a police officer, battery and resisting law enforcement with a vehicle.

Jacob Klopfenstein