When to visit your student

0000-ca169997985

Members of the Marching Hundred perform at the homecoming parade on Kirkwood Ave. Michaela Simone Buy Photos

Freshman Family Weekend (Nov. 7-9)

What is there to do at IU? Come find out. Tours will run all weekend for families to see what their freshman is up to.

The IU Visitor Information Center will be open to families as the “Official Front Door” of IU.

Families can take tours of the Herman B Wells Library, Wylie House, Lilly Library, Student Recreational Sports Center and Wildermuth Intramural Center, which will allow them to use athletic facilities for free when accompanied by a student.

Different academic buildings will open for viewing, and the Bloomington’s Farmers’ Market will be open to give visitors a taste of locally grown produce.

The IU football team will then take on Penn State, and a Freshman Family Weekend Hospitality tent will be at the game.

Call ahead for specially priced tickets. Check FYE’s website for a complete schedule of all IU has to offer this weekend.

Parents Weekend (Nov. 7-9)

Stay at the Indiana Memorial Union, the heart of IU, for a weekend specifically geared toward you.

Tours will go on at IU’s landmarks, including the Lilly Library, Wylie House, Wells Library, Kinsey Institute and IU Art Museum.

Reservations are encouraged, especially with IMU events. More details and schedules online.

Homecoming Week (Oct. 17-19)

This is one of the biggest events in Bloomington, especially if you’re an IU alum. 

The week will culminate with an IU football game versus Michigan State on Saturday.

More information on Homecoming events will be posted as they become available. 

Check online at alumni.indiana.edu/together/homecoming/ for details.

Year-round performances

The IU Auditorium, Jacobs School of Music and the Department of Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance have events and performances year-round.

Attractions come in from across the country and abroad. Visit the respective websites for details and dates of these events.

New attractions are added all the time, so check for some of your favorites, and make plans to visit.

More

A guide to your student’s versatile ID card

With more than 20 dining halls, dozens of restaurants and 40,000 peers, your student will not need to look very hard to find a reason to spend money. However, with a variety of meal plans and alternative currencies to choose from, it can be daunting to choose which plan best fits your student’s needs. We have broken down the three primary forms of currency on campus to give you the skinny on how to not break the bank while giving your student the funds.

IU pop culture 101 for parents

Your students have years of classes and studying ahead of them. After you drop them off, here’s a little (fun) homework you can do in your own living room to brush up on some IU pop culture.