Parties respond to controversy

Indiana Treasurer Richard Mourdock noted parallels between pre-Nazi Germany and the United States on Saturday, sending waves of controversy throughout the state. The incendiary remarks took place at the Indiana Republican Convention in Fort Wayne, where the GOP also reiterated its stance on same-sex marriage.

“The people of Germany in a free election selected the Nazi Party because they made great promises that appealed to them because they were desperate and destitute,” Mourdock said. “And why is that? Because Germany was bankrupt.”

Mourdock proceeded to warn listeners that the U.S. bankruptcy was imminent.
While Mourdock’s comments incited heated discussions between both Democrats and Republicans, IU College Republicans Chairman Riley Parr said he believes there is truth to his remarks.

“We need to be cognizant and careful of the people we elect and think about the policies and the ramifications for the future,” Parr said. “It’s our duty and responsibility
to make sure the people we elect have our best interests at heart.”

But, like many of the individuals in attendance at the convention, Parr said he believes Mourdock could have communicated his opinions in a less incendiary manner.

Mourdock is no stranger to controversy. During his campaign for U.S. Senate in 2012, the Republican frontrunner watched as his popularity spiraled downward after he implied rape was a product of divine intervention.

“I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen,” Mourdock said during a debate.

Apart from Mourdock’s statements, the convention featured discussions about several hot-button issues in politics, particularly same-sex marriage. The Indiana Republican party repeated its traditional position on the issue.

“We believe that strong families, based on marriage between a man and a woman, are the foundation of society,” the party said.

Kyle Megrath, spokesman for Hoosiers Unite for Marriage, said he believes the party’s viewpoint on same-sex marriage is not representative of all Republicans.

“We know that there are so many Republicans out there who support the freedom to marry for all couples,” he said. “There were Republicans and other delegates who had strong feelings about not using that kind of language.”