Need help deciding what to bring? Here’s a tip

When planning what to bring for your student’s first year on campus, some items are necessities. At the same time, it would be best to leave others out. We’ve create this guide to help you decide what is what.

Things to bring

1. Flip flops or shower shoes

It’s OK to shower barefoot at home, but when sharing a shower with 60 people, you’ll want to wear something to protect your feet.

2. Shower caddy

This is useful to carry all your shower necessities. If you forget something, running back to your room while in the community bathroom is not easy.

Some things to include in the caddy are soap, body wash, shampoo, conditioner and razors. Throw in a toothbrush and toothpaste if you only want to make one trip.

3. Weather gear

It’s not uncommon for a sudden downpour in Indiana. You’ll want to make sure you have plenty of rain gear — boots, umbrella, rain coat, poncho. It can’t hurt to be prepared.

Additionally, Bloomington gets cold in the winter. You’ll want an extra warm coat to wear when the snow arrives. Walking across campus can get frigid without one.

4. Comforter, pillows, sheets and blankets

You’re provided with a bed frame and mattress, but you have to bring everything else for your bed. Equipping your bed with a favorite color can make it feel more like home.

If you’d rather wait to bring the complete set, IU has stores such as Bed Bath and Beyond, Target or Walmart, which carry all the back-to-school essentials.

5. A nice outfit

You’ll never know when the opportunity for a job interview might present itself. If you’re already prepared, you can spend the night practicing instead of scrounging the aisles of Target looking for something that will fit.

Things to leave at home

1. Toilet paper

Toilet paper in the residence halls is filled often. For halls with individual bathrooms per room, a maintenance staff always has extra on hand. There is often cleaning supplies on each floor as well.

2. A printer

There are many sites on campus with available printing. Some are even in the residence halls, so bringing your own printer is not necessary.

Students receive a printing allotment of 650 pages per semester, so take advantage of the free amenity.

3. Complete luggage set

Bringing large luggage will only decrease the amount of space in a dorm room. A couple small pieces will be good enough for return trips home or vacations.

4. Your entire photo album 

Bringing an entire collection puts you at risk for lost, damaged or stolen photos. Though the collection might be important to you, choose the most important photos to decorate your room so it feels like home.

5. Your DVD collection

You can bring your favorites, but campus libraries, Movies, Music and More, allow students to check out DVDs with a student ID. 

It’ll be easier to use this method than to lug a big box of DVDs that you probably won’t end up watching anyway.