Latimer to Broncos, Bolser to Redskins in NFL draft

spColumn

A few years ago, Cody Latimer bought an orange shirt and shoes for prom.

That wardrobe came in handy Friday, as Latimer was drafted in the second round — 56th overall — in the NFL draft by the Denver Broncos. The Broncos main colors are navy blue, and the orange Latimer donned with his outfit.

“If there was ever a guy that was meant to be a Bronco, it was Cody,” quarterback legend and current Broncos general manager John Elway said in a release. “Because he had those shoes and this shirt in his bag in New York and came straight here.”

Several teams showed interest in Latimer before the draft, but he said the Broncos weren’t one of them. He had heard nothing from the Broncos camp. When he was called up on stage and hugged NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, he said he was surprised to be wearing a Broncos hat.

“I never heard anything about the Broncos, so it was a little bit of a shock to me,” Latimer said in a release. “But it was a great shock.”

Even though he wasn’t anticipating being drafted by the Broncos, he was still ready with the orange apparel.

“There was just something that really told me to bring it, and I took it to New York with me,” he said. “And then it just happened to work out perfectly.”

Latimer will join the orange and blue after being one of the best receivers the cream and crimson has ever seen. The former Hoosier wideout finished his career with 135 career catches for 2,152 yards — both rank seventh all-time in Hoosier history. His 17 career touchdowns rank tied for fifth all-time.

Latimer ranks in the top 10 in several receiver records — and he still had a year of eligibility left. The Dayton, Ohio native left IU after his junior year. The allure of professional football was too much to pass up, he said.

Now, Latimer is ready to join a record setting offense led by quarterback legend Peyton Manning.

“I plan on coming here and living under him,” Latimer said of Manning. “I’m going to spend every day — I want to make sure I know what he knows.”

Another former Hoosier offensive weapon was drafted this weekend. Tight end Ted Bolser was taken with the second pick in the seventh round — 217th overall — by the Washington Redskins.

Statistically, Bolser is the best tight end in IU history. He is the all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns for Hoosier tight ends.

Safety Greg Heban will also get his shot at playing in the NFL, according to his Twitter account. He tweeted he’s been invited to participate in the Chicago Bears minicamp this weekend.

Receiver Kofi Hughes tweeted on Saturday, “Grateful for the opportunity at hand! Proud to be a Redskin !! Joining My Former Teammate @TedBolser in Washington !! #GoSkins.”

Whether Hughes was signed as a free agent or was invited to a minicamp workout like Heban is unclear. The Redskins will release the official list of undrafted free agents later this week.