Fettig to perform at Players Pub

CAROUSELentPlayersPub

Player’s Pub will prepare for a night of diverse musicianship, both local and traveling, on Friday.

Rick Fettig will perform for free during the Dew Drop Inn Happy Hour, which begins at 5 p.m.

Country vocalist and songwriter Sheila Stephen will perform at 8 p.m., and the cover charge is $5.

The final show of the night starts at midnight, and cover charge is $3. The band playing, DELTAnine, is traveling from its hometown of Kenosha, Wis. DELTAnine identifies as an electronica, funk-soul-styled band.

Fettig takes his music on the road, traveling to nearby towns like Nashville, Ind., but Player’s Pub is his primary venue.

Fettig’s songs tend to be obscure covers of country bands that sing about the unpretentious people who live and toil in the world.

“Last year, WFHB celebrated their 20th anniversary, and in January they brought in Jim Hightower,” Fettig said. “And I and my violin player opened up for him, and Jim called it the ‘songs of the people.’”

In addition to his musical hobby, Fettig helps maintain buildings around Player’s Pub.

Fettig’s next show is with the band called The Ricci’s, which will take place May 11.

Stephen, who integrates classic rock with her traditional country style, has had her current band for two years. However, she has been performing since she was 13 years old, having been influenced by her father to pursue her musical talents.

“My show is about energy, but I am only a vocalist,” she said. “The musicians I have behind me, we just have a lot of passion. We are all older, but I don’t think you’d know that by watching us.”

Stephen has performed as an opening act for many top-name country musicians. A few she named included Waylon Jennings and George Straight.

“Over the 30-plus years of having my own band, I have had the fortune to work with some of the greatest country artists,” Stephen said.

As local musicians, Fettig and Stephen agree that Player’s Pub is a Bloomington destination for ingenious music demonstrations. Stephen said Player’s Pub gives musicians who may not be from the same musical backgrounds the opportunity to communicate and bond.

“Joe has bumped it up a notch musically,” Fettig said. “They cater to the people.”

In Stephen’s opinion, Player’s Pub has given many musicians the chance to express themselves, where other venues may sometimes be too restrictive, seeking genres for niche crowds.

“The Player’s Pub is one of Bloomington’s best-kept secrets,” Stephen said. “You just feel so warm as an artist and as a performer when you go in there because they are really supporting your craft, and they really support local music.”